Frontenac Motor Identifacation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frontenac Motor Identifacation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

frontenac engine
I recently purchased this Fronty motor in Fresno from the Bob Robinson estate.

Does anyone recognize it? some of the tell tale signs are a Nash twin distributor firing 8 spark plugs. The motor and hogs head seem to be powder coated black with a polished aluminum sump, side covers and valve cover. There are 2 #97 down draft carbs mounted on singular manifolds with a balance pipe between them.

The side cover has the letters "BOIC" engraved in them. So I'm wondering if anyone knows about this motor. It does not seem to have ever been run no oil or evidence of oil around the outside of the motor. The last tell tale is the oil pipe coming out of the mag plug raising vertically for a gauge? or a primer?

just askin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 10:44 am:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Frontys usually have I.D. info stamped on the upper edge, on the surface that the valve cover sits on, usually around the middle area.

Like right around here:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:21 am:

As far as I remember, there are three designations on Fronty heads. T for touring, S for speedster, and R for racing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:27 am:

The 2 intake ports would make that an SR

What is going on with the exhaust side though? Is the whole side of the head cut or broken off and welded up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:27 am:

This head is not a T, S or R though, as it has 2 intakes. I kind of think it's an SR, but I didn't want to come out and say so, since I'm not that well versed in those heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Derek that is how all SR Fronty's were cast pushrods are exposed, they are lighter than T,S,R heads and sold for racing, in my experience they will not thermo syphen like other overheads and require a water pump. Jerry is correct model then # then model were stamped on top of Frontenacs though I have had a model R that had the depth of a model S, my guess is someone ordered a R only machined heads were S's so customer got an R stamped head (buyer beware even then)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Thanks Scott, I didn't know that. :-)

I thought they'd look just like the rest of the Fronty's but with 2 intake ports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

The SR heads were narrow on the top deck because these were supplied as single overhead cam heads and the extra width on top was not needed for a cup rack rather than rocker arms. I imagine the SOHC heads were offered prior to any rocker arm heads, and then a rocker arm version was offered later, using the T.S.R rocker arms, puchrods and cover. but I'm not sure. The rocker arm heads had a small pad added on the exhaust side to support the push rod guide foot on the rocker arm stand. Were these added later or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Guys, I know what the head is, I wanted to know if anyone knew any history on this engine restoration.

The number stamped on the head is SR308SP.

I was hoping that someone might know or remember something about this particular motor. The brass engraved plates on the side covers "BOIC" SPEC, might just be a tip off.

I am hoping someone can tell me who what when and whats inside without a complete tear down.

thnx,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I may be waaaayy...off,but here goes.
One of my long-gone T mentors used to correspond with a fellow named Clem Sala(sp?) that he knew.I saw a picture of a hot Fronty he had built up.The lettered pedals on a starter hogshead strke a response in my less than perfect memory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:32 am:

Dan the SR came out in 1923 the DOHC in 1924 the first Frontenac catalog with the SOHC that I have seen was 1928 but I have think it may of come out in late 27. Van Ranst drew the prints for the SR in late 22 before he left chevrolet I have been told the narrow top deck was for easier casting for the twin ignition and lighter weight since it was meant for racing, the single stick though advirtised for the R and SR (so would fit on any rocker arm head) was designed for the SR narrow casting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:22 am:

BCG- sorry for the thread drift. Scott- thanks for the details. Jim- regarding this possibly being a Clem Sala engine, I can't say for sure as Clem was running the Gemsa head on his speedster by the time I got to know him real well. At that point, Clem had moved from Hayward to Rosevillle. Ed Archer may remember what Clem was running for an engine prior to the Gemsa, but I simply have no memories of another engine. Being from Fresno, the engine may have come from somewhere in SoCal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Brass Car Guy,
I've lived in the Fresno Ca. area from the fall of 1971 to attend Fresno State, aside from a few years I worked for AT&SF Railroad. I have been into Model T speedsters from the 1970's but don't recognize your SR Fronty, the 1926 block and oil line off the mag post area plus the twin 97's carbs and Nash ignition, I would remember. The only guess I can come up with from this area is Nile Reed from Madera Rolling Hills area, but I never saw this motor at his place, he was mainly into the Rajo heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Yes Clem Sala ran a fronty before the Gemsa and that could be one of his engines, but the one I remember most had a Columbo cross drive Mag set up. He also ran distributors on engines. I didn't pay enough attention so can't say for sure if this was actually one of his.

Ed aka #4

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration