Rocky Mountain relining

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rocky Mountain relining
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I can't get to my car for a couple days and want to order lining and rivets for a SMALL drum Rocky Mountain reline.

How many feet of lining total do I need and how many rivets total do I need for modern small drum RM brake relining, both sides. I was surprised that the vendor I called did not know. "you tell me what you want to order" was his response. I would think they would have a kit ready to go but I guess not.

Any info is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Do you know what the diameter of your drums are? Just compute the perimeter of one of your drums, multiply by two, and round up the result to the next whole number of feet. That should give you enough for two sides plus a little extra margin.

For example, for 11 inch diameter drums (only an example, I'm not saying your drums are 11 inch):

2 x 11 x 3.1416 = 69 inches = 5.76 feet

5.76 feet rounded up to the nearest foot = 6 feet

Regarding the rivets, just order a box of 100 and you'll have a lifetime supply. A box of 100 probably will cost less than a few dozen ordered singly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Rocky Mountain never made small drum brakes. I'd like to see some if they exist! The originals are 1 1/2" wide X 3/16" thick. I'm not sure on the length, but I imagine two feet for each side would be enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:14 am:

The vendor kits contain enough lining for either size of rocky mountain brakes and the rivets, such as Langs - RMB-LIN.
I have used a couple of these. You will also need the anvil tool kit to set the rivets. 2566RVTL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:17 am:

The small drum version takes 37 inches a side.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:53 am:

I used almost 7 FT. when I relined my small drum rocky mountain brakes.The manufacture would not sell the linings, they wanted me to send the steel bands to them in California and pay them to install the linings. Fortunately there are other sources that will deal with you more professionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

OK Larry it is a small drum rear end with RM brakes on it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Is Chaffins lining any better than Langs lining??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration