Wet and miserable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wet and miserable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

When this auction in Afton Iowa was planned, I'm sure it was done with the assumption that the last weekend in April would be pleasant. Not so.

As usual, they started with the trailers full of tools on Saturday morning. I was chilly, but dry. That didn't last long. Soon the cold drizzle driven by a northeast wind began. Saturday was devoted to buggies, tractors, and antique farm equipment. But I did spot a can full of spark plugs, some of them for Model T. I determined that I would go as high as $40. I waited over two hours for it to come up, and when it did it sold for $100! That was the extent of my Saturday shopping. :-(

On Sunday they sold the cars and parts, mostly T and some A. This 1915 touring was mostly correct, but the "upholstery" was flannel blanket that had seen better days. I thought the leaking can to catch drips from the leaking radiator was a nice touch. All the cars in the building started, but with difficulty, and ran, but not well. If I heard correctly, the touring sold for $9900.

I assume this is an original 1915 detail.

The 1924 coupe went for $6900.

I thought this spare was the coupe's most interesting feature.

The 1924 runabout sold for twelve grand! Things like that sometimes happen at auctions. People get carried away by a bidding frenzy.

The 1926 coupe went for less than the 1924, but I don't recall how much. Maybe somebody else who was there can fill us in.

The sale attracted notable Iowans Dean Yoder and the Devines of Birdhaven fame. Dean and I got into a bidding war over a box of nuts and bolts. If either of us had seen who was bidding we would have dropped out. In the end I paid $20 for it.

This was just after a Chevrolet porcelain sign sold for $1000. There were a few breaks in the constant drizzle, but that southern Iowa clay got slicker than snot. When people got inside out of the wind, you could see their breath in the cold air. The temperature never got down to freezing, but it was pretty close.

I should have bought these two transmissions to mine for parts, but I forgot to take a cart and getting them to my car scared me off. There were a few very desirable items, but with Ron Paetz, Forrest O'Keene, and lots of other T guys there, the prices were too rich for me. A set of transmission reamers went for $450, and I dropped out of the bidding on a magneto tester when it got up near the price of a new one. As it turned out, I drove a long way to spend forty bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Great write up and pictures as usual Steve. Thanks for sharing them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Steve,thanks for sharing the photos, and the reporting of people, parts, and prices...for those of us with limited resources it is a great way to learn a little more about the hobby.... seems to me, the Midwest is THE place to be if love the mdl T !! thanks, john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

It is fun to view that sale from a warm chair by the computer.
Thanks for the report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Thanks for the pictures, Steve, sorry that the weather was nasty, have a safe trip home. Pay attention to the flooding reports, you may have to adjust your route!

Hopefully some of the other buyers will show off their scores in this thread. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Steve, that looks like Montana auction weather. Some sort of cosmic rule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

What did the tractor conversion go for????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

I notice the auctioneer has his own enclosed auctioning "house." No standing in the freezing rain for him! :-)
The first pic (tools on trailers) is so typical. Folks standing around, looking disinterested & bored--but likely busy thinking, "If I look casual enough no one will notice me bidding on lot 15--oooh, I might get a steal.--now look casual. . . act uninterested. . ."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Steve, regarding your comment about the 1915 top socket pin detail, it does appear to be original. A picture on page 213 of Bruce's book barely shows the area of interest on a 1915 restored by Bob Patton.

Page 217 has a much better picture of a 1916 touring car top. It shows the same strap and split pin that you show in your picture above.

The vendors carry the strap and pin:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6837X.aspx

They also carry the correct, taller dome shape prop nuts:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/33708BQ.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Nice report on the auction. Just remember, a day in the cold rain looking at rusty gold, is still better than a day at work. I'm just glad there is still stuff out there to be had to keep these old cars going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Tom, The tractor conversion brought $2,000 internet sale going to Minnesota.
My best score was 2 right front fenders one NOS
$100. My total was $126.
Long two days. Ok, I would do it again saw lots of Friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Great there are parts in other areas. Not much around here. I buy most everything on line because there isn't anything T around here but some model A Parts. Cool sale. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Thanks Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Afton goodies
a
a2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:39 am:

I was really excited to go to go this sale, the show alone was worth the trip. It wasn't all that far from here, but when the weather went to hell, I lost interest. Looks like that was a good choice, except for the fact that I could have met up with some of the forum guys. Oh well, at least I stayed warm. :-) Glad there were some bargains to be had. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Thanks for the post and the photos.

Interesting to see what's out there and what it's going for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Really appreciate to posts, pictures and especially prices. It's always fun to find out about the sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Auction prices run up and down the scale. Depends on whose there and how many 'bumpers' are in the back of the crowd to keep the price moving. Deals are still to be had from time to time.

Its interesting to see how much people will pay to be sure!
A great deal on the 2 fenders. Those are some fenders that could have gone a lot higher. Deals are where you find them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Yes there was a pair of 24/25 fenders $400

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bbrunia on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

We should have worn name tags - I was there and would have liked to have known who was who lol

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration