Long Time Gone

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Long Time Gone
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Hello to the MTFCA folks. I've been gone for a LONG time it seems. Looking at the posting group I see a lot of name I still recognize.

I've got 4 T's: A 1912 touring, a 1913 chassis with wheels, new rebuilt engine (by Kazorke that crazy fellow in Carson City ;o), window frame (no glass), body (a tornado style), all the brass parts including the radiator and all lights, and no time to put it all together…, a 1920 runabout that is in great shape, red and black, and a 1927 TT with the high ratio gearing. I posted pics of the TT some years ago on the forum.

But I figured it was time to join up again… So, hello to 'y'all again after some years have gone by. I'll have some questions regarding the T's above.

Nice to be back. Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Hello there! Welcome back.
A lot of names do seem to come and go around here. Nice to see one return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Welcome back Michael. I see your last postings are from 2012. It's good to see some of the "old" crew rejoining the discussion. I also have a 1920 runabout recently purchased last fall that I'm getting ready for touring. Post some pics of your cars and lets have some fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Welcome back Michael, I'm just down the river from you in Oroville. I used to travel through Quincy quite regularly, but it's been a few years now.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Thanks for the welcome back notes, Wayne, Noel, and David. I will post some photos in the future. I am in the early phases of building a hand made small log cabin on a piece of my property in the woods between two creeks. So I am pretty busy with that project.

I did find the time to pull the engine out of the TT because the key holding the gear on an alternator from Macs came loose and ate the timing gear. We think/hope that the damage is limited to the gear and that we can replace it, clean the engine out with kerosene, and it will be OK. Hope so!

I am planning to sell the other 3 Ts because I have other things I want to spend my time on. Once I get them out of the barn and cleaned up (dust on them from the hay) I will take pics.

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Show us pics of your cabin build too when you're ready, if you would. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Teresa and I are just about finished building a log house in the Black Hills. Off the grid. I'd like to see pics of the cabin as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Duey and Noel:

As the saying goes, "I am all stoved up!" after peeling logs! Man, that is HARD work! I found a guy in Estonia that sells a disc with 3 cutters on it that mounts to a 9 inch angle grinder and takes the bark off nicely, then I finish with a draw knife. I'll be 69 this summer and I can only do so many of these early in the morning until I just can't do anymore. Talk about getting in shape! I could never do the Gym thing... seems to me that is doing work and accomplishing nothing with it... so my style of being in shape is actually physically working do accomplish something. But I sure feel it. I figure that when I get all the logs peeled I will need to get t-shirts shaped like they were made for Big John... "Wide at the shoulders, narrow at the hip" (and "everyone knew you didn't give 'no lip... to Big John..")

So that is the phase I am in now with the cabin. It will be small... inside dimension will be 12x16 feet only. Scribe fit logs and a nice loft extending 6 feet over the front porch. When my wife and I were first married, we lived in a log cabin north of Ketchum, Idaho, (near Galena Lodge) for 3 years... no electricity or running water (except the creek outside the door..) and I also lived in one above the Midnight Mine (at 10,500 ft) on the backside of Aspen Mountain in Aspen, CO, 1970-71. So in my older age I wanted to build one to hang out in now and then, thus all the hard work.

I am cutting all the trees from the land and there are lots of really nice tall straight ones. The logs I am using are pine although there are lots of Douglass fir on the property as well but I want to keep those growing. The logs I am using are on average 10-12 inches in diameter. After all, the cabin will only be 12x16 so that means 17x21 foot logs.

Looks like I will have to break down and take some pics of cars and cabin progress. And Noel, I sure will want to see pics of your log house!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Howdy Michael, I always enjoyed your posts in the past. Don't be a stranger here my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I have a '12 Touring too. Is yours an early or late body style? Mine is a late "slab side" body style without outside door handles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration