O.T. plowing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: O.T. plowing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Neighbor is plowing my east pasture for 1st time in 25 years. Thought you would like to see real horsepower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

hard to tell, is that eight horse power? furrow looks to be rolled by a 22 inch share, man, wish i could be there and see those wonderfull horse's work.and my hat is off to the driver,not a easy job. thank you Dallas .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Team of 8. Driver is 15 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

It's been a long time since i walked behind picking up worms for fishing! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Come on down Bud. I havnt been fishing in years. I just wormed the horses today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Now, THAT is dis-gusting!
(In a humorous sort of way.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Bud, Dad drove a team of plow horses for Stroebel in the thirties. Center road south of Gratiot at the tracks. He wasn't really glad when Stroebel bought an F-12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Many years ago me and my older brother were following my dad on a tractor as he was plowing under some stubble, picking up worms (and the occasional arrowhead!) for a hoped for evening supper of bluegills and bass.
The old Allis Chalmers WD45 had no muffler on it but my almost deaf dad didn't mind. Halfway through the field the two bottom trailer plow tore into a massive underground bumblebee nest and turned it over right at our feet! As the angry bees swarmed out, I ran to the left, and my brother ran right, stumbling across the freshly plowed field until he fell and was immediately covered in bees.
I ran diagonally to the fencerow, passed my unaware dad who couldn't hear all the screaming and yelling behind him, turned at the headland then turned again into the field to meet my dad head-on.
We both ran back flailing our shirts to get the bees off of him and then my dad carried him as I fought a rear guard action swinging both shirts and getting re-stung a few more times in the bargain.
My brother was stung pretty well all over, in both his ears, all over his back side and scalp, then spent 3 days in the hospital where he swelled up like a balloon until he couldn't open up his eyes.
We went back out the next night with paraffin and burned them out.
It was bad, but Imagine what a disaster that would have been if we had used the horses!

Oh yeah, and instead of eating fish that night we got cold pork & beans, coffee and an Epsom's salt bath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

With a large pond full of large catfish i don't travel to fish and it seem's like i spend all my time reflecting rather than doing.Wet and cold i haven't even started the T this spring!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:33 am:

A few years back while going to Hershey, we stopped at Petershines buggy restorations, in the middle of the Amish county.

The field next to their farm was being plowed while we watched. There was the young husband tending to the plow set while his young wife was tending to the 4 horse team.

What struck me was while she was dressed in the typical Amish garb, in a long cotton starched dress, a small tight hat, she was wearing a bright colored pair of Nike's.

She was magical the way she handled those horses straight as an arrow rows and at the end perfect corners and more straight rows. We must have watched her for an hour very impressive and a privilege to observe early America at its finest.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Watching a driver and the horses do field work in person is an absolute joy!
The sounds...
Thanks Dallas. Great pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:53 am:

We used a 2 bottom plow behind a 10-20 McCormick Deering with steel lugged wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:20 am:

-Hal-
Am remembering the two 10-20's we had, then added an F-20. Reliable critters! If I would take the time, there's a comical story to be told about two of my neighboring cousins, (brothers) who seemed to constantly argue about which of their tractors was better... The John Deere or the Allis-Chalmers? (I'll save that story for another day.) City kids didn't have the chance of life experiences like we did.
-Dale-
Probably not a huge comfort at the time, but are you aware those Bumblebees are approaching the 'Endangered Species' list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:17 am:

Back about the late '90's, a friend of mine who was a house/structure mover loaned me a VHS tape of some of his Amish friends moving a pretty large barn with horses. It was very impressive, they had the barn loaded on moving dollies and used a 32 horse hitch to pull it over a corn field. Quite a show. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:40 am:

Dave, I helped my Amish neighbor move a 1960's pole barn a couple years ago. About 125 men picked it up and carried it about 75 yards to new location and set it on new pad. Not quite the same scale but still impressive. They have a git er done attitude. That old metal, round poles and a truck load of bracing was not light like todays pole buildings. When the fellow in charge gave the word that barn jumped off the ground and settled at arms length and was suprisingly light. Icecream and pie followed the move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Great picture Dallas, but that one horse off to the right is that the "Sidewalk Superintendent"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:00 am:

The horse off to the side is mine. He is retired from all but watching. He turned 32 years old this year. Other than not having any rear teeth he is in pretty good shape for the shape he's in. He's been livin the good life for about 8 years as I wont let anyone ride him anymore. A 1200 lb pet is what he is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:02 am:

He is checking the depth of the furrow and how straight it is and laughing at the kids working!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Well give him a carrot for me and tell him good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Naw….. He's thinking….."Back when I was a young stud we did this with just a two-up hitch……kids these days….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Evan, he's thinking they are plowing under some of his best eating and if that mare wasnt in the middle he would poke a little fun at her!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I GREW UP HERE IN THE HILLS OF VERMONT WITH HORSES EVERY FARM AROUND HAD A TEAM, AS A BOY I WORKED IN THE WOODS WITH ZEAK'S 30 YEAR OLD,WHEN I CHANGED LOCATION'S IN THE WOOD'S THE FIRST TRIP OUT I WENT WITH BLACKY, THE REST OF THE DAY HE TRIGED ON HIS OWN,HE WOULD WAIT FOR SOMEONE ON THE OTHER END TO UN HOOK HIM AND HE WOULD COME BACK FOR THE NEXT RUN.ON OR AROUND 430 PM ON THE WAY BACK HE WOULD HEAD TO THE BARN, WE USED HIM TO UNLOAD THE HAY TOO,HE WAS TEAMED WITH JERRY,A YOUNGER HORSE,BLACKY WAS KNONE TO LET JERRY DO HIS SHARE AND A LITTLE MORE,SO ZEAK WOULD TAP HIM ON THE RUMP WITH THE REAIN, AND HE WOULD ACT LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD TILL THE NEXT TIME.CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY CARS HE PULLED OUT OF THE MUD IN THE SPRING.WONDERFULL MEMORIES [NOW].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

When was the last time U saw a Bumblebee? They used to be all over. Marv, I bet the John Deere (Putt Putt) won, though I didn't care for them then. Now I think they're great.

I like this post even if the Model T isn't mentioned. Great memories!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Richard G. The plow is a 14 inch two bottom.I checked today as they are back to finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:00 am:

MY HAT IS OFF TO THE LAD, TRULY A SUPER JOB KEEPING THOSE GUY'S IN ORDER IS NO SMALL TASK.THE ROW,S ARE STRAIGHT AND TRUE, THAT 14 INCH MUST BE IN ALL THE WAY.KNOWING WHAT I KNOW ABOUT ANY HORSE THEY NEED TO BE WORKED WITH EVERY DAY,THAT IS VERY ENJOYABLE WHEN THEY LISTEN TO YOU AND DO WHAT YOU ASK OF THEM,TWENTY YEARS AGO I SOLD MY HORSES AND USED THERE PASTURE TO PLANT 1000 BLUEBERRY BUSH'S,IVE MISSED THEM, BUT CANT HAVE EVERY THING,BUMBLE BEE'S?THEY ARE WHAT I DEPEND ON TO POLINATE THE BERRY'S HONEY BEE'S CANT REACH THE BOTTOM OF THE OF THE BLOSSOM,THE BUMBLE DON'T KNOW IT CANT FLY, SO IT SLAMS INTO THE BUSH FULL SPEED.THEY ARE WONDERFULL TO WATCH WORK,WHEN HAYING IS OVER I RAKE THE SCATERING.S AND PUT THEM ON THE EDGE OF THE FIELD FOR THEM TO WINTER IN.[HOPE I'M NOT USEING THE FORUM WRONG]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Bumble Bees?? FWIW Dept. = My Bride planted a row of oregano on our front hill. When flowering, the Bumbles seem to come from all over, and be all over! Monarchs appreciate the pink milkweed along the edge of the woods too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Next stage! Tiller and power unit. Times they do change. Kind of like a model T with a V8? Just not the same !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Dallas,What are they going to plant? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Another advantage to using horses or mules is they naturally leave behind a certain amount of fertilizer no tractor can duplicate. :-)

My grandfather used a team of mules (out of necessity) to work his orchard and vineyard until the year before I was born. I have his old silver pocket watch he wore every day. The back of the case has several small dents. I was told by my grandmother they were made while he was plowing and the plow handle would hit him I the hip striking the watch in his pocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

My buddy and I have a little hunting spread right here in Central New York. About half the land is tillable and our Amish neighbors don't waste a square inch. This is the mowing team. The plowing team is six Percherons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Bud, the pasture was getting pretty thin. After a liberal dose of sunshine from the barn floor late winter and working it up, he is planting corn. Next year it will be planted pasture again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration