WAY OT!!!! Maxwell 2-cylinder owners... Does the Splitdorf H Magneto need to be timed to the engine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WAY OT!!!! Maxwell 2-cylinder owners... Does the Splitdorf H Magneto need to be timed to the engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Sorry to post this question here, but I know that a lot of Ford owners are Maxwell 2 cylinder owners too so I figured, what the heck.

Anyway, I can't seem to find any information on how to time the magneto to the engine on my 1911 AB. I assume that my cam cover and gear were correctly installed so that means that the mag can only go in two ways since it is keyed or notched 180 apart. But is there a procedure I can step through to confirm the timing is correct to the stroke? Also, I've seen some photo's of a condenser attached to the magneto. What's that about?

I have a copy of the 1911 instruction manual but it doesn't go into depth on the topic. I would like to hear form folks more experienced than I, so any help is appreciated. I would really love step by step instructions or possibly a copy of a Splitdorf H manual if one is out there. Many thanks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:07 am:

James, Pull out a spark plug and find top dead center, I think the key way in the crank flywheel will be up. Both pistons will be up. install your mag so you can make it fire just after top dead center when the spark lever is in retarded position. The Maxwell fires on every top dead center stroke of the pistons. You can change the timing of the mag by pulling just the top cover and moving the gear to the right location and re-install it. It doesn't even matter witch spark plug the wires goes to. The magneto is more like a distributor(points, condenser) and a generator in one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration