Another obstacle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another obstacle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I finally got to work on getting the rearend for my '21 back together. I decided the thing to do was to "rattle" the ring gear bolts with my air wrench to make sure they were tight. Bad idea. I broke one off. Fortunately, I was able to turn the broken one out by using a small chisel on the part of the bolt that extended thru the ring gear. Now I'm concerned that I might have stressed the other bolts. I will order a new set from Lang's and proceed more carefully. Nothing else has been easy so I shouldn't be surprised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

You forgot the old rule: Tighten the bolt until just before it breaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Oops.

The book says the ring gear bolts should be "about 20-25 foot pounds. Tap the heads of the bolts with a small hammer then recheck the torque value." Top of page 29 if you have the book. Don't neglect to wire the bolts together in pairs.
:-)
Personally, you'll curse that &%^$#:@!*$$$ axle a BUNCH more before it's correct and done. I know I did! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Yeah, I got out THE book and checked after I broke the bolt. I probably put 50 ft lbs on them. I noticed that I will need to turn one of the three differential bolts a certain way so the head of it and the head of the ring gear bolt will clear. I also noticed that the three diff bolts need to be "indexed" so a cotter pin can be inserted after the nut is tightened.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration