Lubricant for rebuilt gasoline shutoff valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lubricant for rebuilt gasoline shutoff valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

I have made a new tapered plug for my 1927 shutoff valve and lapped it in with Timesaver. Any suggestions on a lubricant I might use on the plug that would be immune to gasoline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:20 am:

I will probably be flayed alive,but I have rubbed plain old lvory bar soap on them.Sure there is something modern,l just don't know what-yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Aviation fuel lube, like EZ-turn. Available from the Model T vendors, or aviation supply sites.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Ted - Use what Mark suggests and it will not leak. And it will be easy to turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Yes, use EZ-turn. I tried all kinds of other things I had around the house and shop like soap, etc. Nothing worked or worked for very long. The EZ-Turn is made for this and will not dissolve in fuel. I find I use it much more than I thought on other things around the shop, so it will be money well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

My gas valve leaked slightly and I ended up using soap flakes on the valve - problem fixed. This tip came from the forum a few years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

I've used bar soap - no problems so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Ordered some EZ-Turn from Aircraftspruce.

Thanks to all you folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Just don't put too much EZ turn on the thing. I made that mistake and my car would not start one Saturday morning when I was supposed to lead a tour. Had to do it in modern iron. Later found out a glob of EZ Turn prevented fuel from flowing into the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Aircraft Spruce is a source for a low cost speedometer (about $12 plus shipping)for our Ts. Someone has posted in the past using one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

That'll just measure airspeed. Essential thing to know in an airplane, but kinda useless in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I have a tub of BP rubber grease (for easing seals, hoses and the like into place) and see that the tub says "for use where a petroleum resistant grease is required". It sort of smells a bit lanolin-ish and is quite stringy in texture. Might be just the thing ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I did the bar soap thing - several times - lasted several weeks but leak kept coming back even after smoothing it out. Gave up and put in a modern ball valve as Royce suggested in some earlier post. Never leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:38 am:

NEVER should you run out of airspeed and altitude at same time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

In the old days it was Fels- Naptha soap to resist gasoline, repairs minor leaks also, maybe not with new gas. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Bob Cascisa, Still using your "speedometer"?(Picture posted by Bob in Jul 2015.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration