Re spoking wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Re spoking wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I'm looking to find a good place to have wheels re spoked, I would like to find a place in Canada, but if I can't I will be shipping them to the US, any information would be appreciated, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:04 am:

If the wheels are the later type with steel felloes you can use the Regan press to respoke them yourself if you're so inclined. If you'd rather have it done by somebody else:

Anderson’s Wooden Wheels
Dale Anderson – Owner-Operator
Box 1433, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Canada S6V 5S9
Phone (306) 763-4049
Fax (306) 763-4018
dale@anderprop.com
http://www.anderprop.com/ww_index.html

Calimer's Wheel Shop
30 East North St.
Waynesboro, PA 17268
(717) 762-5056
http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Stutzman Wheel
33656 County Rd 12
Baltic, OH 43804
(330) 897-1391

Vintage Wheel Shop
George Garrigan
19842 Via Redondo
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 533-0468

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:07 am:

Brent, I had new spokes made and installed in my newly painted hubs and wheels by Dale Anderson in Prince Albert - Phone Three, Oh, Six, 763-4049.
He'll likely be at the Red Deer Swap meet this coming weekend. (5th and 6th) Suggest it would be worth the trip to see him.PM me if you want more info. Always like to chat with fellow Model T'ers in Alberta!

Ross
President Foothills Model T Ford Club, Calgary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:13 am:

Be aware that most Canadian wheels were spoked differently than US wheels. Some Canadian wheels had tapered sides to the hub cuts so the spokes tighten to each other as the hub plate bolts are drawn in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Thanks Steve, I'm made a press and tried to press them in, they wouldn't go in ( these Canadian wheels ),I already purchased them from Langs and stained them then I realized they weren't the same. The tenons on spokes from Langs were about 9/16" not the 1/2" as they stated they were, so I cut the tenons down to the 1/2". They still wouldn't press in.So I compared them to a spoke from Snyders ,they were slightly different. I tried to modify the spokes, they pressed in twisted, I obviously did something wrong cutting them. So being frustrated I've given up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Thanks Ross, I will be going to Red Deer this weekend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Thanks David, mine are different and I tried to modify them, didn't work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Been there, done that! My Canadian 27 has Canadian made Kelsey wheels and uses an altogether different spokes from the US cars. You don't need a press and the new spokes available from the vendors will not work. You will either have to use your old spokes or have new ones made. I was able to refinish and use my old spokes. Only had to shim a couple to make them tight. Luckily, I only bought enough new incorrect spokes to do one wheel. Unfortunately I varnished them before trying them so I can't return them. Dale Anderson is probably your best bet as he is probably familiar with the Canadian wheels. Good luck!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration