Got lucky....sort of

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Got lucky....sort of
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:53 am:

sunday started out to attend a local car show when something let loose in the transmission. fortunately, i hadn't quite gotten out of the driveway. after pulling the hogshead, discovered that one of the clutch fingers had broken away. the finger on the left is the culprit. the one on the right has a crack in the pivot area. fortunately no damage was done. whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Ouch, it's a shame we can't rely on 100 year old parts..

(Not really, it's fantastic they work as good as they do - first time I've seen this type of failure, actually. Old Henry really tried to dimension everything just about right for strength vs low weight, and most times he was right - except maybe for the crank shaft)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Glad you caught it before it caused more damage! Also, glad you didn't have to tow it home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Hmm, is this another part we should be closely inspecting before re-assembly? I've not heard of this failure before. (Maybe you're the lucky one Stuart?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Really surprised to see a cracked one, let alone a broken one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Finally a failure I have neither experienced or caused!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

I'm sitting here looking at the picture thinking "THAT is the WEIRDEST rocker arm I have ever seen! Is that off a hit and miss engine or....", then I read the text and realized what it was. It just looked bigger in the picture than it really is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Lang's indicated they could supply good used ones and so ordered. these were worn pretty thin in the pin area, not that they were very thick there to begin with. hopefully it will be back running soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration