Differential prelube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Differential prelube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:26 am:

I'm planning to reassemble the rearend for my '21 as soon as the ring gear bolts come from Lang's. I'm wondering what to use for assembly lube. I plan to put 80/90 or 75/140 lube in . I have the modern outer seals. What would you use for assembly lube ? Oil? 80/90 or 75/140? Grease? Something else? What say ye?
Steve J ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I've always used wheel bearing grease. (after a dry fit of course.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:41 am:

The grease is very useful for "glueing" the steel thrust washers in place while assembling the rear axle. For other parts inside the differential any oil would also do fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:19 am:

I use Lubriplate because I have a big tube of it left over from other projects. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Tommy;
Before you use the multi grade lube you might want to read this;
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219650

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:24 am:

I pack the pumpkin with wheel bearing grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Tommy, in previous discussion on this forum, it was noted that the modern 140 is close to the old 600 weight oils. I'd suggest using the 75/140 lube. Royal Purple states it is not corrosive to yellow metals. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-gear/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

I used a bit of wheel bearing or regular grease placed with a solder brush for the steel thrusters and just oil for the thrust bushings and other bits.
I'm scared of plugging the slots in the thrusters with grease but that fear may be unfounded. I don't know.
I also fully opened the ends of the slots with a file as the mill didn't run all the way off the end of the surface on my thrust bushings.
Get some grease on the inner Hyatt's for the first bunch of turns is how I take THE book. ;-)

Interesting article and have seen those warnings before about "yellow metals" and some gear lubes. No GL-5 and perhaps no GL-4 either is what I gathered. Go for the GL_3 or GL-1.
I bought 600w from the vendors. Not for use with Ruxtell's. Too heavy.
:-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on May 02, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

STP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

I agree with Keith plus a little Lucas climbing lube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I just thoroughly lube everything with the oil I'm going to use in the rear axle.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Get 600W from the vendors, its cheap and made for T's and A's. Cheaper than Royal Purple as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Spent some time reading the labels at my auto parts store. It seems like all the gear oil they sell (Gl4, Gl5) is made of a Snake oil derivative ...perfect for every application!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration