Semi O.T.---Trip with T places, wow.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Semi O.T.---Trip with T places, wow.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:35 am:

My brother and I (being airplane nuts) had long discussed going to Dayton to see the USAF National Museum. They have things no other air museum has. As the trip started to become a real idea, I started thinking of the other places within reach of Dayton that I may have had on the must see list. Of course Dearborn was first on the list...
Cut to the chase, hear is what we did:

Dayton Ohio:

USAF National Museum.(was there for 75th anniversary of the Jimmy Doolittle raid on Japan)

Dearborn Michigan:

The Henry Ford, Greenfield Village, The Rouge factory tour.

Kalamazoo Michigan:

The Air-Zoo, The Gilmore Car Museum.

Chicago: Decided not to stay......

Richmond Indiana: The MTFCA Model T Ford Museum.

Indianapolis Indiana:

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Dayton Ohio:

More USAF Museum....

What a great trip. There is more to see of course and what a full trip we had.

The big surprise for me was how much I enjoyed Greenfield Village. We got to ride in every model T they had, including 3 of the T-100 project 1914s. When they found out I have a T we became VIPs. It was great fun. They let me go back and visit with the guys who do all the maintenance on the T fleet (can't recall names) and generally had a ball.

Visiting the MTFCA T Museum was also a big highlight. Mitch was awesome and recognized my name. We became VIPs again. He is one heck of an ambassador for our club and the T. We got to see things many visitors do not. We even got to take the 25 pickup for a spin. Had a blast.

Long story short, it was a trip that was well worth the fatigue of traveling all those miles.

Photo links below. Caution: close to 2000 images in total broken into 4 albums.

Part 1
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157680105299804

part 2
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157683326875805

part 3
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157683226587646

part 4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157680192715493

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:48 am:

WOW what a trip..... I was tired just from looking at the pics.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

We did cover a lot of ground. Only a true airplane and or car nut would want to look at each and every photo. It did take me a few days to rest up. Now I have to come up with a new list of places to see.

Imperial war museum and the Normandy coast are still on the list.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Erich,

I believe it was Justin who you dealt with at the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, Indiana.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

You didn't visit the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Jim, I bet you are correct. My apologies Justin. Faces I am pretty good at recalling, though I have always had a poor memory for names.

The plant in Detroit was not possible on this trip. Saves another thing for next time. We just couldn't see it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Forgot to mention we also took in the American Packard Museum and the Carillon Museum while in Dayton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Carillon Park is very cool! I think it's kind of undersold. I never heard of it till I went there as a stop on a speedster tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

A wonderful trip! It's almost like being on overload ..... But what fun!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

I only found out about the Carillon Park due to it being rated highly on trip adviser list of top things to see in Dayton. It seemed like another version of the Greenfield Village concept but focused on the industrial history of Dayton. Very informative, interesting, and well done. It was very worth our time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

We've been to the Carillon Park in Dayton also,. It's a must see if you have the opportunity. It does compare to Greenfield Village and is even better in some respects.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Another point to include here was the fact that I believe we were visiting these places at the best possible time. Greenfield Village had just opened for the season several days before our arrival. All the places we visited were not swarming with tourists, large school groups, nor were they sweltering in the summer sun. Many times we looked around and wondered if the rapture had happened as there was not another soul in sight (glad to know that was not the case). All the docents, volunteers, and employees were fresh and helpful, not yet burned out by dealing with the masses in force. It was terrific to have the full attention of all these fine folks. We learned plenty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Wow! Sounds like a great trip! I'd love to copy it.
Normandy is a great sight in early spring! We toured around Point du Hoc and the musee du debarquement in Arromanches. Keep your head on a swivel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

greetings from WPAFB, I can see the museum right from my window.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration