Another Accessory Brake Question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another Accessory Brake Question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

I have read through the MANY threads on Accessory Brakes that have been posted over the last few years. I am still undecided on which brakes to get. I live on a dirt road with a very steep hill that is about 125 yards long with a sharp curve at the bottom. I have to go both up and down any time I want to take the T for a ride.

I am looking at getting either the disc brake set or the repro AC brakes with the linkage for my T. I will not ever plan on going out in the rain but I suppose I could get caught in a bit of wet weather once in a while. I know the AC brakes don't work well in the rain and I know that the disc brakes don't look very period correct... I am caught in the middle and unsure which way to go. I want to make sure that if I have an issue coming up or going down the hill, I can stop if I need to.
Has anyone had both brakes on their car before that could give me your input on which you liked better and why. I'm not keen on the looks of the discs but I also don't want to die (or any of my family) driving my T.

Any thoughts?

Also, I can't seem to get a hold of Rich Baughman to find out if he still sells the linkage kits. Does anyone have a phone number? I emailed him and didn't get a response.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I have a very similar road situation.

We are going with the disk brake option as reverse braking power is just as critical as forward.

Good wishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Hi michael; I have had both brake systems on my 21 touring at different times, first the rocky mountain brakes which required the larger brake drums on a small drum axle. Them my wife saw the ad for the Texas T disk brake system and recommended that I get a set and install them in place of the rocky mountain units, must have something to do with how I drive. The disk brakes are definitely not correct and are very obvious but they work like nothing else I have used. I don't have to plan on using low gear when going down hill, they work in the rain, they work when backing down off of a trailer, and the brake peddle only travels about an inch and is solid when it stops. You still only have rear wheel brakes and narrow high pressure tires but I am more than impressed with the performance. The kit is complete and high quality a great improvement especially when you are sharing the road with modern traffic and distracted drivers. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I couldn't find a phone number for Richard Baugman, sorry.

It may take some searching, but you could try to find an original set of Rocky Mountain brakes with the band anchor point at the rear. The drums are bigger than the AC brakes and they work as well going forward or backward.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Michael,
I have two numbers for Richard Baughman.
916-652-7827
916-956-4871
He was still selling them a couple months ago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration