OT - Turning a Negative Experience Into a Positive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Turning a Negative Experience Into a Positive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

Funnily enough after the recent thread of taking T's on long journeys, I had a minor break down on a short jaunt (in my Model A). It was frustrating being a newbie to the hobby not knowing how to troubleshoot, but after a few phone calls to some club members, then eventually to AMA Roadside Assistance, my friend who was with me snapped some photos.

These photos were taken about 1.5 - 2 hours apart. After I let the car sit for that time, I tried turning it over, and it fired without hesitation. I cancelled the tow truck, and we enjoyed the night drive in an open Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

You likely have a weak coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

I second the possibility of a weak coil.Also,check for a corrosion or loose where the condenser is screwed in,if stock type points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

And l,too had a Rose Beige and Seal Brown Roadster.God,what fun.Glad l had a bunch of fun.You never know when health problems may arise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

In hindsight, I thought the issue was flooding. Initially when struggling to fire, I choked it too much. What are some symptoms of a weak coil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

It may be weak, or it may have a hairline crack in one of the windings that only opens up when the coil gets hot.

OT - I used to own a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible with an electronic ignition conversion. It would run for about 20 minutes, then suddenly shut off. You could raise the hood, let it cool off, then it would fire right back up and you could drive home. Turned out to be a hairline crack in the distributor pickup coil that only went open when the coil got hot. Took a while to find that culprit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Mark,I had a 53 chev for my 1st car. It would quit like you turned the key off. Let it sit for a 1/2 hour and it would fire up and away I went. Bad coil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Could be a bad coil or maybe it was fuel starved. I have been very lucky with model A s for the last 20 years. My coupe has never failed me but my rough old 29 sedan had a coil go bad on a short trip. I did some work that it needed anyway and have been trouble free for 5 years. I just wish it was beautiful like your car. Very good looking roadster. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

How about vapor lock???????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Thanks for all the input, though perhaps I didn't explain the scenario very well.

I drove it fine, then parked it. After returning about an hour or so later, it initially wouldn't start when parked. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I then overdid it on the choke. From then on, I believe it was flooded, and just had to wait it out before I could start it again about an hour and a half later. Once started, it ran great, as if there was no problem.

It wasn't vapor lock, as it is not a very warm temperature outside right now, and it was sitting for a while.

I don't think it was electrical. I initially suspected it was (not sure on what grounds), but an attempted bump start just produced the same sound as the starter motor trying to turn over. Once I was driving it again, it drove as it always had.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration