21 inch Canadian wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 21 inch Canadian wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Does anyone have any information on the various types of wheels and rims offered in Canada as a 21 inch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

What year and type Rob?
The split rim with the exclusive Canadian lock mechanism was made by Kelsey in both Windsor and in Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Two different rims

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Top rim is Chevy, valve hole close to lug and cut out lug hole identifies it,
Easy to alter if the rim is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Rob, My Canadian 27 has Kelsey Wheels made in Canada. Locking mechanism is the type that has a pin go through something similar to 2 hinge halves. Spokes are different as discussed previously on the forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Dave,the second photo above is missing the pin lock that you described.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

The tell tale characteristic of Canadian 21" split rims is the pair of holes in each side of the rim, either side of the split. These are used when the special tool is used to collapse the rim when fitting tyres.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Here's the tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:56 am:

James, you are correct. I missed that. I think I have also seen the Canadian rims with the tab that turns to look them. Couldn't find a name on them. Maybe aftermarket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Anyone have one of these tools that they want to part with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:06 am:

The tool show above is the only one I have seen. I paid 12 dollars for it from a Model A guy at a swap meet. He had no idea what it was.
I am sure many disappeared during the WW2 and Korean War scrap drives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:14 am:

As Peter stated above, top rim is Chevy. I have a rim like it that has already had the valve stem hole relocated. It, also, has the split lug. Question: Why did Chevy do this? What was their reasoning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:50 am:

Terry, with the valve hole close to the lug, there is no room to fit the valve stem through the hole in the felloe and be able to lower the rim/tyre assembly over the near lug. So they slotted the lug. Model T rims, having the valve stem further from the lug, there is room to fit the valve stem and still screw the rim so the lug goes over the bolt. Even this demands that the lug nearest the valve stem is machined a little oval.

The only other thing to do is remove the bolt when fitting the rim and replace it when the assembly is in place.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Terry,

Might not be correct but it could be that Chevy made the rim the way so it was not possible to use a Ford rim.

Ford rims were most likely cheaper and you would have Chevy owners buying them instead of then buying Chevy rims.

Make it so different and it was not easy to change easily, No doubt a Chevy owner would have bought a Ford rim if it was cheaper and probably also easier to get than the Chevy rim.

Putting the valve so close and cutting the lug sure did make it a different rim.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration