The most difficult thing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The most difficult thing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

What is the Most Difficult procedure/thing/project you've ever attempted on your Model T?

Examples being:
Band change in the car
Changing tires
Locating the correct clutch hub used in 1920 for 3 weeks...

Have fun, this should be a interesting spectrum of our groups patience levels. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Figuring out why the magnets in my coupe kept loosing charge. Turned out that the coil box wood was shorted out and shooting current from the spark plug terminals to the strip in the bottom of the box and killing the magnets. After I installed a fun projects wood kit and recharged the magnets the mag worked perfectly.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Completing my first endurance run. . .

The dash steering wheel bracket came loose, the fan broke sending a blade into the radiator. Due to the rough roads by lunch time I had almost no bands left. The day before a fuel leak in the tank was discovered. The floorboards caught fire (just to the point of charring and some smoke). Lost a headlight lense/rim. And then a few miles from the finish line a large bang in the rear end (yes I finished) which was found to be a tooth completly broken off the ring gear.

It was definatly a shakedown run and we had got the car running the day before the tech inspection.

Currently the most difficult project im attempting is building of a scaled down Chadwick style supercharger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I don't have a stand to turn a T motor nose down so I have to put the transmission on horizontally. I have the flywheel bolted on, then I tie a string around my neck, then grab the drums. Then I mesh 2 triple gears at the bottom and loop the string around them. I then put the other on top. I guess I had the drums on the shaft first, it's been a few years. I slide all this forward and try to get it to line up and slide on the triple gear pins. This is usually a long frustrating process. When you are out of breath and choice words and it finally goes on, then the rest is easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Mike, how do you tell a 1920 clutch hub that's only had 3 weeks use?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:04 am:

Toughest thing I had to do when restoring my car; Fitting the rear end innards. Had to put it together and take it apart I don't know how many times. But once it was right, it is now smooth and trouble free.

Anyone else experience this?

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Most difficult: The rear axle assy for my '18. When it's all wore out? Ugh.
Mike, may I post my easiest difficult thing? Changing out the main clutch pack WITHOUT removing the engine on my '24!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Pulling the third main cap on a three dip pan engine in the car. May as well have just pulled the engine. Also did the third main with a Scat stroker crank and big caps. My hardest tour experience was in 1992 with my TT dump truck on the California redwood tour. Ol' dumpy was suffering fuel delivery problems on the miles long grade out of Honeydew. I had to rig up a system to pressurize the fuel tank that involved blowing into a tube stuffed into a tennis ball jammed into the gas cap hole. My cheeks were sore for days. After that, on the long steep downgrade into the Rockfeller forest the exhaust pack nut backed off and my girlfriend passed out from the gas poisoning. She almost fell out of the cab down into the canyon. I had to grab her by the hair and haul her back in while keeping a death grip on the steering wheel going around a curve. We survived and were married that June. I no longer drive the truck without the doors. Memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 02:10 am:

Getting gas without drawing a crowd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Swapping the gas tank out in my 26 touring ranks up there as one of the most difficult tasks yet on that car, and I think I've done everything on it, except for replacing the top. And it seems so simple when you read the blue book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 06:35 am:

Getting the rebuilt mag ring installed correctly in my Tudor's engine. I tried to use the stock shim that was still in the engine to get the correct clearances, but that was pointless. Finally after a couple hours of trying, I just discarded the old shim and started from scratch with new shims. After 5 hours of trial and lots of error, I got the correct clearances. Just glad that job isn't one that needs to be done frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 06:42 am:

Painting my 24. The paint was contaminated from the supplier. It took a lot of time figuring what was wrong. I had to strip everything and paint everything over again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:53 am:

The most difficult thing for me is to follow this simple advice...."IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!" In other words, leave it alone, just drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:17 am:

I'm finding the most difficult thing with my Model T's (3) is NOT adding to the fleet again!! LOL Thinned out two, aching for more!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Never really had to dig into the T's much except for routine maintenance. I did remove the water pump on our 27 and replace with original parts and that wasn't hard. What was hard was deciding to retire and selling them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Replacing the #4 rod and cap with a 3-dip pan with the engine in the car. Getting the cotters out of the cap bolts was the toughest part. Finally resorted to cutting the ends off the cotters and drove them out with a small punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Un-learning everything I knew about how a clutch works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:02 am:

So far, replacing the cowl-mounted gas tank in my 1927 touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:12 am:

A slow battery drain! It turned out to be a reproduction terminal block that was made from ground up rubber from tires!

It looked nice and molded very well but the wire from the tires caused it to be 'hot' all the way through it.

I checked it with an Ohm meter to show it had just enough continuity to cause a slow drain. It was a really fun time to be sure.

There are probably others out there the same way to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:36 am:

As a life lone auto mechanic I have to admit that my greatest pleasure is getting a T and working on it. Bringing it back from whatever condition it's in and finishing with a working/running car. I somehow lose interest after it's done and sell it on and that's probably the most difficult thing. Letting it go. But looking for the next one is usually a + experience. Driving isn't a great rush for me as I find traffic too great to sit back & enjoy the experience. I'm way too tense. I've been lucky though, after 3 T's, never have had to do any super major jobs. Honestly if I'd ever had say a crank break it'd be years before I would be able to afford the work that would be needed. Block checked, bored out, bearings poured, etc. So I guess I should count my blessings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:44 am:

For me the toughest was installing new band linings without removing the hogshead. It was infuriating. But having done it and learned some things not to do, I'll probably do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I had the same problem as John K above. That was very frustrating trouble shooting it. That was way back in 1972. Called the vendor and he sent me a new one that was ok. The hardest job has been lining up the triple gears and stabbing them onto the flywheel pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I can't seem to think of one most difficult thing. Many operations seem to be the worst at the time. When you need that extra hand or are nearly there but not quite. Bands through the hogshead has to be one of the worst especially in a closed car except for Coupes with suicide doors. Even open cars with the dummy door are tough. I try to do bands with the hogshead and body removed.
Fortunately I forget quickly and the next project tests my patience.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Getting the doors lined up on my Fordor which meant I had to take the body off and straighten the frame then putting it all back and feeling good that the hood also fits.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Asking a question about oil on the forum. Ha!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

For me I think it was driving to the top of Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the great divide. 10,000 feet, so water boils at around 190 degrees, plus over an hour of low pedal driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Paying for it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

For me, the worst thing through most of my adult life has been to find some time to actually work on it. There have been many difficult tasks, both minor and major projects. Most of the jobs I have gotten done by myself by being creative, and finding some tricky way to get those pins to stay lined up, triple gears properly timed, or a cotter pin removed from the fourth rod. All without a third hand.
Along the thoughts of being a pleasure to work on. I do enjoy working on a model T. Of course, it is really kept in perspective thinking about the '84 Jaguar XJ-6 we had for a few years. Ever changed a water pump on one of those?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Calling Dad to tell him I broke his car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Breaking the sound barrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:59 am:

rebuild and setting up my Mag - so far anyway. Had a very difficult time, getting it right. Mine was made up from many scrap parts and it was all the challenge I could handle - working good though I am glad to say

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Mine is, Deciding not to go with my Grandson to Montana on this years tour and the Race but stay home with my wife struggling with copd and pneumonia. She has told me to go ahead and go but I know she didn't mean it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Troubleshooting an erratic knock when climbing steep hills. Turned out to be the crank handle spring slipped out of the divot allowing the handle to slide back and hit the spinning crankshaft pulley. It was an easy fix but boy was it a booger to diagnose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Bleeding my Texas T disc brake system. I finally got it, but it took quite a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:50 am:

The most difficult thing that I have to deal with is that I have bunch of maintenance to do on the the '25 "beater" coupe, but I have to deal with some health issues that take a lot of the fun out of it. :-(:-( I've got the parts, but not the "OOMPH" :-) I'll get it done though. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration