Running board bike rack/bracket for bicycles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Running board bike rack/bracket for bicycles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Okay... lately I have been getting interested in the early 'safety' bicycles 1880-1910 from Pope (colombia etc. not the high wheel type) and I was wondering if there ever was an accessory to 'strap' a bicycle or two to the running board apart from just lashing it?
And a bit OT, anyone know of someone or someplace that sells these turn of the century bicycles... apart from eBay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

My guess if you had an automobile in those early days, you would have left that bicycle back in the barn!

Think only later years did folks want to haul a bike for recreational holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

I have a diagram of a model T bike rack at home on my desktop. I found it on the Web

On the road in Pismo beach CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:46 am:

I know that one of the Australian automotive pioneers carried a bicycle lashed to the side of his T on many of his long distance runs. (Birtles?) Our Australian friends should be coming on line for the evening soon. Maybe one of them can post a few pictures. I know he used the bicycle a few times to get to a town when he broke down in the middle of nowhere. And, boy, do they have a lot of nowhere!

As for carriers especially for bicycles? I can't recall seeing anything that early.
I would not let that stop me from making something however. I would recommend using era type materials and methods just so it would look right. But that is silly me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Robert, check out Rideable Bicycle Replicas website: hiwheel.com

They have "safety" bicycles and antiques, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Go to www.thewheelmen.org to find the antique bike group The Wheelmen where there is a message board. When you join the group you get a quarterly news bulletin that has classified ads. Also, every April there is a specialty auction in Copake New York with a large swap meet the day before. Another place is the CABE website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I am building a penny-farthing bike with a 50" front and 16" rear wheel. Wonder how I will be able to haul it on my '21 Touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Thanks for input and picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Or a 1918 Mercer with a velodrome pace bicycle on the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

1918 Mercer - with a correction -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Dan,

That seems to be a very early 1909. Troy windshield, no bill front fenders, under rear fender supports etc. Was that car (photo) discussed before?

Thanks,

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Robert,
Here is a running board carrier from 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Sweet! That looks relatively easy to make! Thanks for the search Ronald!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration