Those Other Forums & Sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Those Other Forums & Sites
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Yesterday I went on the Facebook Model T Club site and one thing struck me almost immediately: I didn't recognize the majority of names of the posters there. Not much tech info and a lot of questions asked and unanswered. In fact Steve J. was the only one I did recognize! Do they not know about this site or what? Seemed odd. I no longer have the MTFCI site bookmarked as there's nothing there for me and the Barn seems to have gone stale lately too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Charlie,

There's nothing on the MTFCI forum for anybody, it's gone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:52 am:

For some folks, Facebook has become the web, they don't use anything else.

If you reply to someone's Facebook question, include a link to this forum so that they'll stop by and check it out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Jerry, I had no idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

You won't see me on facebook. I don't use it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Facebook = Anti-Social Media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Nothing wrong with Facebook

Or Twitter

Or Instagram

If you read or post on this forum you are participating in Social Media whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

I am visually oriented - I post on Instagram - Facebook - Twitter to show folks where I travel and what I see .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Me either, Norm. Got tired of them "updating" the site and resetting all MY preferences to THEIR defaults. That, and I just don't get it.

I don't get LinkedIn either. When I tell people I don't understand what LinkedIn is and don't see a use for it, their explanation always seems to start out "Well it's like Facebook......." See last sentence in above paragraph.

Nor do I Twit, Tweet, Instagram, MySpace, Instant Message.......E-mail is about it, and text for a really small group of mostly relatives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Gee Jim, I don't think we could be further apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Yes, MTFCI ditched their forum due to lack of traffic.

There are at least three Model T groups on Facebook, with Model T Ford Club of Facebook being the largest and most active. Charlie's observation is correct. A great many of the participants are new owners or aspirants who are looking for a Model T. I try to answer some of the questions, and I often post a link to this forum so new folks have a chance of getting detailed information and advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

I dumped facebook over a year ago, it felt great. I don't use any of the other "things". My wife does have facebook so I can log onto her account to look at something etc if I want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

On the Model T Facebook page(s) you will find vehicles and parts for sale that are not posted here.

Everything has merit in measure ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

In my work I use facebook every day. My major duty at the museum is conducting workshops in early photographic processes. Many of the people who attend find out by my posts. I also trouble shoot for many on facebook. I'll tell you one thing it's so much easier to post pictures and if you screw up you can go back and edit as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

If you don't use facebook or others, that is not the point of this question and really has no bearing on this question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

I posted some doors for sale on this site and learned that they were Model A doors and directed to The Ford Barn. They have discussion boards and classifieds for T as well as A and other Ford vehicles.
I don't know if forum members choose different ID's for different sites, but I don't recognize many names on the Ford Barn T boards from here. But, I'm a newbie myself.

Our Military Vehicle club uses Facebook page as our web portal as we don't have to pay a host fee every month or year like we did for a web page. So we have no web site, but direct others to our Facebook page.

I'm not a Facebook person for technical reasons that I won't get into here. I can navigate web sites and discussion boards, but not Facebook.

But then again, we have some club members that insist on snail mail newsletters as they don't do the computer thing at all. Different people, wither age related or other demographics, are uncomfortable with certain forms of communication.\

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Yes, choices of medium vary by age and other factors, the most important being personal whim. One of my cousins refuses to have a computer at all, and gripes about the difficulty of finding information. When I suggest using a free one at the public library, he always has a reason not to. Some folks will use FB but don't come here, and some will come here but avoid FB. I use both, and carry a cell phone, but it's a stupid phone. And I refuse to text. Personal whim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Could someone here please post a link to the best facebook MTFCA site. I'd like to check it out for myself. I used to be on facebook, but I dumped it because I got tired of looking at every bodies kids first dirty diapers... Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:20 am:

MTFCA:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=model%20t%20ford%20club%20of%20america%20 -%20mtfca

Model T Ford club of Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fordmodelt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:23 am:

There's a news item this morning about FB value (stock) surging due to mobile ads. Every time I've looked at a FB page on my sister's PC, all the info is contained in a narrow strip or column. The rest of the page is all ads of one sort or another. Who needs it?

Texting on my flip-phone is limited to; "Ok", "Yes", "No" or "Call". It's such a drudgery to type the alphabet on a numeric phone pad. Who needs it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Stephen,

Since this thread has sidetracked ...

I have folks contact me by text on my phone - thru Facebook - thru messaging - that are looking for transport.

A business has to serve the customer if the customer chooses these methods of communication if the business wants to stay in business ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:33 am:

FJ-
One of the very reasons I dumped facebook, their weapons policy went to absurd and as I was using facebook to connect with customers it became pointless and a waste of time.

www.swabsarmory.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:38 am:

First of all, I'm not a big fan of FB. I do have an account, but I check at most once a week, up from once a month.

That said, you shouldn't bemoan the declining interest in Model T's along with their declining resale values and at the same time be critical of Facebook and or a Model T Facebook page. Where do you think future model T enthusiasts are going to come from? FB certainly has a younger demographic than the MTFCA, and you should appreciate and encourage their interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:33 am:

We, the people of the United Kingdom - and especially the members of the Model T Ford Register of Great Britain (an MTFCA Chapter) use our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/MTFRGB/
for mindless chit-chat - sorry, social interactions - and this Forum to learn or offer, technical stuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:48 am:

I think it is important to have ONE forum for Model T's. Especially if you are discussing technical information. The reason is that those looking for information and those willing to impart the information need to be on the same page. Otherwise it is like a pitcher throwing the ball to the outfield while the batter swings the bat. No connection with the ball!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

"And I refuse to text. Personal whim."

Steve, when I first got my smart phone, I insisted I would never use it to text. (I was thinking of teens texting mindless drivel back and forth.) Then when Anja was in the skilled nursing center, I was having to coordinate with kids to be sure someone was there at mealtimes and to see where everyone was when. Realized that texting was the most efficient way to do that.

I am also still a bit amazed by what I call "gee-whiz! technology." Fast forward to the present. My girlfriend is in Ireland with three friends right now, and texting back and forth is pretty much instantaneous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

The earlier cell and flip phones are not very text friendly. I refused to be bothered with the hassle of switching through all the buttons to create a simple text. The current crop of smart phones now display a regular full keyboard. I occasionally text and find it more convenient than a phone call sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Texting also needs much less bandwidth so if you are in an area with poor cell service and conversation is too much of a chore, texting is a good default.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I refused to text at first as well, mainly because I'm a bit of a contrarian.

However my new iPhone is very easy to text on and texting makes it very convenient to keep up with scheduling-type things with my wife and kids.

My younger customers also like to communicate with me via text.

I like it because it's a lot like email in that an immediate response is often not necessary and because it's a good way to share addresses, phone numbers and appointment times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I just hate being forced to change. Nobody's fault, but that is what happens. Used to be nice to be able to communicate with my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids via E-mail. but that doesn't work anymore! Now that just about everybody younger than me (and at 75, that's just about everybody) "texts" and is addicted to Facebook, most people don't even look at E-mail anymore. I do "text" once in awhile, but I'm sure that by the time I get pretty good at it, it'll be obsolete! And I pretty regularly scroll down thru' Facebook, just to see what names and faces I recognize, but I'm sure I never will understand how to use it! Progress!!! Hmmm,.....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Grandmother had the same problem. After a number of years she lost her hearing.
Things change and yet stay the same.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Texting is fine for me and my Wife has a Facebook page we look at for Family goings on BUT we don't put our whole life, toe ache's, and a lot of just plain stupid and dumb stuff like a LOT of people do.
You can figure out peoples likes and dislikes pretty quick on Facebook if you want to spend 2-3 hrs a day on it. But not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Don't use Facebook, twitter or any of that other cr*p. I do use- a TV antenna, a clothes line, my cell phone if off 95% of the time, my landline goes to an answering machine. I check my e-mail once a month. I find that I am enjoying life more than I did with all the latest and greatest BS gadgets. Next on my shopping list- a wringer washer, preferably gasoline powered! Going bass ackwards and loving it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Steve Jelf Thanks for posting the link. I checked it out and was not overly impressed with it, but them I'm an old fart too... not too anxious to change either. However I do understand the businessmen onboard here.. service is the name of the game, God love ya I hope all your businesses are successful.
I guess putting your requested information out in cybor space for us older folks is a bit scary, but here on this forum I feel I am among friends and can let my hair down as it were.
I believe that the next generation choses FB and text to communicate, so be if we want our hobby to endure we have to learn their methods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

My home is in a nice area, trees, wildlife, but no cell coverage, no cable TV, no Wi-Fi. My internet connection is through my land line--the only phone that works here--at a miserable 33k speed. I cannot 'do" Facebook, it is not dial-up friendly. This forum, although "ancient" works just fine on dial up and lets me be in contact with the T world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Interesting tidbit after having driven cross country that the WORST cell reception I received was in California. This includes middle all the way thru Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. On other trips I haven't had problems thru the hills of South East US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:34 am:

I only text while drinking and driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:44 am:

I used the phone to play pandora so I could listen to music when I was unable to get stations.

And Burger its only dangerous if you are driving wile drinking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:29 am:

Oh yeah, .... and now you're going to tell everyone that it's only dangerous to text while driving too ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:58 am:

I post on the other site too, I'm not a purist on cars and it has a wider variety of what I could call fellow travelers....Dirty, down and direct seat-spring-in-the-butt knowledge is found HERE. No comparison with other sites, after repairing all types of vehicles for a living for 40+ years I can spot a vehicle BS'r and the guys on here knows dere stuff....tinman080, Garyand Debbie Hammond(FB)lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:40 am:

I tell you what I DO NOT understand. Why am I in SUCH a minority when it comes to other people knowing my personal business? You can't hardly go to a store anymore and them not want your phone number or e-mail address or want you to sign up for some rewards card or worse, something like the My Lowes card that does NOTHING but gather your personal information and track your purchases and they don't even give you a damned "Reward". Every time you check out there, they say "Do you have a My Lowes card? No. Do you want to get one? Not NO! but HELL NO! I get pissed when I get SPAM and telemarketer phone calls. I sit and wonder how they got my information. Someone else SOLD it to them. That's how! You think when you give the girl at the register your phone number or e-mail address it is so she can call you and ask for a date? These companies are selling your information to others and even the ones who are not are building a data base about YOU so they can SPAM you and advertise to YOU personally. How do you think Facebook can afford to operate? It AIN'T a public service! They are selling YOUR information. I have no desire for anyone to build a data base on me, whether it be whether or not I own a gun or what brand of toilet paper I use. It ain't none of their business.

And what really gets me is that hardly ANYONE I talk to seems to care if these people do this to them. Some even think it is a convenience because they "get sent ads for stuff they didn't know about".

And for those of you who don't believe me and think I'm paranoid..........That's OK. I think you are na´ve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:53 am:

Hal, I agree with you. Sure, F.B. has it's "place" and even sometimes a community service but that's few and far between. Far too many people as you say, seem to "have" to put out their private business almost hour by hour. So now the perps in this world know you're not home and well...you know the rest. Wish it weren't this way, but it's the "new normal" of a very vicious, violent world we live in today. And by all accounts, it's getting worse than better. How stupid (except for those seeking work) that F.B. now has to hire another 3,000 people to watch what you're doing in order to take down a live stream of someone being murdered....happened in my backyard short time ago. Sickening. And to that, there's those investors & owner of F.B. making a fortune off of it! Talk about capitalism at its finest! I do not have a FB account, and am doing just fine without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Just using the word had attracted info miners to your IP address....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Burger, In the seventies we had a local fellow that always sold wildcat whiskey and had a used car lot as a front. When ask how business was once during a slump in the economy he replied( ya know people will spend their last dollar to drink and drive!) KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Believe it or not there is facial recongnition software (non govt) that can identify you. Used in conjunction without any other information than a picture it is often able to PREDICT with over a 80% success rate where you might be or what you might be doing at a time in the future. This is done primarily via finding who you are on facebook and similar sights where location is tracked, this can then be tied into phone numbers etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Since we're into social media I'll tell of a story I watched on TV 2 nights ago. It concerned very young children who are given a pad or smart phone as soon as their able to use it. Believe me when I say I've seen some VERY young kids using these devices. Playing games mostly but the story involved how these kids don't develop speech as quickly as kids that don't have access. Scary as hell if you ask me though a mess of these half wits being mute might not be a bad thing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration