Radiator Cap Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator Cap Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Found this just now on the MTFCI site:

Radiator Cap Gasket
If your Model T has a tendency to boil over (what Model T doesn’t?)and the antifreeze or rusty water seeps out of the radiator cap and stains the
paint, take heart. There is an easy way to solve the problem. Go to your nearest hardware store and find the “BASIN DRAIN GASKET” which fits all 1¼” tubes. This gasket is manufactured by the “Plumb Shop” and carries part number “PS 342”. Put this neoprene gasket into the filler neck of your radiator, put your radiator cap on, and you
will NEVER have to worry about any antifreeze or rusty water soiling your beautiful paint again!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Yep, I use one, it works great! fits right in like it was made for it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

It fits so well that the vendors carries it as a radiator gasket: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3927M.aspx

(and I'm glad they do, the plumbers have a different standard over here, so it's the easiest way for me to get it :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

It is also called a Mack Basin gasket or washer.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Shouldn't coolant drain from the overflow tube before it makes it up to the rad cap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

It condenses on the underside of the cap and weeps out around the flange.

This is a good tip, but there should be a gasket there's to begin with. Our original Ford gasket board has a spot for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Betsy came with a somewhat thick paper gasket. It worked okay, but the rubber plumbing gasket is thicker and seals much better IMO. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Depending on your neck and what cap you are using, not all caps and necks can use a gasket. For example, the dog bone cap I have on Nellybell has short threads and would require many gaskets to reach the bottom of the dog bone were as a stock cap can be screwed down into the neck till it seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Sometimes people will put in palletized stop leak. sometimes one of the little pellets go done the overflow pipe and clog it. Dad did that and when Martynn Vowell and I were helping Derrick Pang ,it was bubbling from the cap also . So I ran a thin wired coat hanger down it and cleared the clog. And use a gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:31 am:

The biggest sales point to use the “BASIN DRAIN GASKET” as a radiator cap gasket instead of the thin originals is if you have an accessory cap that should be pointed in a specific direction - it's very easy to get it to stay in the desired direction with the thick neoprene rubber gasket as a friction stop :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:05 am:

I like that sink gasket. It compresses and if you are running a motometer you can easily get it to face the right direction, whereas if you use paper or thin rubber gaskets, you will need several to get things just right. The sink gasket is also easier on the solder joint where the neck is fastened to the radiator, not as much stress as you tighten the cap.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:09 am:

I like the sink gasket. It compresses and if you are using a motometer, you can get it to face the correct direction. It is also easier on the solder joint where the neck is fastened to the radiator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I use a rubber O ring that can be had at Ace Hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Ted, I picked one up from ACE hardware.
It really snug the cap down. Can't wait to try it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I am going to try it. Maybe Ace will have them Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Mine are different. Somewhere along the line a spare red nolathane boat roller turned up on my lathe bench. It was about 4" long. Now its back to around 2", as I chuck it in the lathe and use a hacksaw as it is turned to cut my washers. The fit in the neck is neat, there is compressibility to orient the dogbone ears, and I can cut them at different thicknesses to accommodate various types of radiator caps. If I ever run out, I will buy a black roller next time.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Mine are different. Somewhere along the line a spare red nolathane boat roller turned up on my lathe bench. It was about 4" long. Now its back to around 2", as I chuck it in the lathe and use a hacksaw as it is turned to cut my washers. The fit in the neck is neat, there is compressibility to orient the dogbone ears, and I can cut them at different thicknesses to accommodate various types of radiator caps. If I ever run out, I will buy a black roller next time.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration