Brake light switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake light switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

I just got a new switch from Lang's pn#3158fm, that mounts to the frame, design is good, bracket is heavy duty and right, trouble is the switch is no good at all, I did call Lang's and they are sending a new switch no charge. Since a new switch is on it's way I decided to take the one I have apart and have a look, my what cheap construction, terrible, I tweaked the guts and it will sort of work now but I wouldn't think it would last very long at best.Not picking on Lang's I have bought from them and they do a good job, this switch lists for about $35.00, almost worth it just for the heavy duty bracket but I have seen better switches in a flashlight! Just so you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

two words for you...

FUN PROJECTS BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

ok...that's 5 words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Thomas, if you're not concerned about originality, the best brake light switch I've found is the '49-'52 Chev switch. It's well made and has a 3" arm that is easy to connect something to, and is easy to mount by fabricating a bracket also. I mounted one on my '36 Ford with hydraulic brakes and another one on my '25 T Coupe with Lockwood outside brakes. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

The one right above it on Lang's site #3158HD looks like the FP switch to me. I wouldn't use anything else, good stuff.

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=BRAKE%20SWITCH&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

If you run a flat inspection cover plate you can use a simple bar with a 90 bend in it. Into the bend drill a hole and install a switch that is open when depressed such that the pedal rests against when released. As soon as the pedal moves forward the switch closes and the light comes on. No need to deal with linkages or springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I agree that Johns new switch is a good one. However, I wish he would have designed a better design switch to fit inside the worthless reproduction that at least looks correct! I started buying up original Ford switches years ago, so I'm lucky I don't have to worry about that issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I'm pretty new at these model 'T's' and it shows, I never thought to look at 'fun products' switch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Can't go wrong with it Thomas! I have one on my '12 and will eventually put one on the '13. Nice part about them is, with a little tweaking, you can set it up to activate the brake light by just tapping the brake pedal, without necessarily engaging the brake band. Works great in giving tailgaters a bit of an advanced warning when all you need to be doing is coasting some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

I've been using the FunProjests switch for 3yrs and extremely pleased. My car is a daily driver so it doesn't have to be correct , I understand Larry's concern and not knocking it. The correct style repop, I could never get tight enough that I was adjusting on a monthly basis. Me ? I just want them to work for safety's sake while running errands and on tour. The 'Youngin's" today don't have a clue with hand signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Lang's does indeed sell the Fun Projects model BLS-1 switch kit. It also can be easily installed on right hand drive cars by drilling one hole in the bracket per the supplied template that comes with the kit. You just flip the bracket over and the switch then mounts on the opposite side of the hogshead.

There are 2 problems with the original switch setup. One is that the reproduction is poor but also on my original it was not easy to keep in alignment since the end of some brake pedal shafts are cut off with a tapered end that comes to a point. The switch plunger won't stay centered on the pointed part of the brake pedal shaft which then results in the adjustment slipping away. The brass era cars don't have a bendix cover so that limits the application. I had safety in mind and refuse to make anything that requires any holes to be drilled in the car so that was my guide while working on the project. It is not authentic but it doesn't require the car to be modified and I want everyone to have a good brake light that is solid because the truth is that if you get in an accident you are most likely to get hit in the rear end - that is reality. Light up the whole back end of your car - the switch can handle it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

John, please pass on our condolences to your assistant and her family regarding the death of her husband.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

I am not a purist, but I do try and maintain the "spirit" of the car. But John's switch setup just makes good sense, original or not. Have them on two vehicles, could not be happier. I bought both mine through Langs.

Thomas, being a newer member, if you have any doubts on purchasing something, just ask here first. The money and headaches you'll save will be worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Bought the same switch and it also went bad. At the advice of those on the forum, purchased the Fun Projects and never looked back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration