Time estimate for complete rearend rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Time estimate for complete rearend rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Last summer I had the unfortunate experience of getting blind sided in my 26 Roadster by a modern Lincoln. In the process of repairing it I had to completely tear down repair and reassemble the entire rear end from the universal to the hub caps. What I need to know is a estimate of how much time it takes to do this for insurance purposes and also how much is my time worth doing something like this. I really cannot remember how much time I have in it but I know it's a lot more than the book calls for. Can any of you recent rebuilder's give me a idea. Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Chubbs paid me 85 dollars an hour to repair my 14 after it got backed into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

The Milwaukee Club and I just finished rebuilding the rear ended of my 27. We must have had 30-50 man-hours on the task. Of course we ran into some problems, but that goes without saying on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Jim...call Joe Bell 419-618-1025

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

We average about 16 hours for a rebuild but are no longer taking in work. There are not enough 16 hours in a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

James, experience makes a difference. I could probably do one much, much faster now that I have done one than the first time. Major challenge for a first-timer is what is normal and what is not normal? A recent complete discussion of an entire tear-down and rebuild from 'what is all this?' to completion can be found here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/713632.html?1490798775

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

James I realize that my previous post was not the answer you were looking for. I am told that a professional rebuild costs $2000 locally. Can you work backwards from that to find the number of hours?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:24 am:

I figure I have a couple of weeks into rebuilding it, probably about 4-5 hours per day. A lot of that time was dismantling other rear ends trying to harvest the best parts and also making my own tools and parts to do certain jobs. Example, I made a tube up so I could press the gears off the end of the axle because my press was not tall enough to do it. Also had to turn a thrust washer from a piece of bronze tubing because the replacement ones were not thick enough. Like you said Ignacio I could do it a lot quicker now because I have a better grasp of what needs done. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I guess what I'm kinda asking is not how long it takes but what is our time worth when we do it our self. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:36 am:

The insurance company should have a standard rate. The real question would be how much time they will pay. I think that you would have to get an estimate from a shop to get a time established. It also may depend on the insurance you paid. Pretty sure no one is going to pay you 50 hours.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:36 am:

It all depends on the condition of the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

In 1923 the charge for a rear end rebuild was 6.00 plus parts so if the wage was 1.00 an hour 6 hours should do it LOL

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration