Wood wheel hub changes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wood wheel hub changes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Are the hubs the same for demountable/non demountable/30X3/30X3.5?
If not are what are the changes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:36 am:

The front hubs differs over the years, generally early brass era hubs were weaker, so if you're building a speedster type of car, a 1916-27 hub would be better, cheaper and easier to find. By 1919 when the demountable wheels (and the Timken roller bearings) were introduced all were alike, whether in a demountable or a non demountable wheel, but the non demountables got ball bearings for some years - though they are interchangeable.

The rear hubs were quite alike after the tapered axle was introduced 1911.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#fwhubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:25 am:

My plan is to run demountables 30X3's on the front and 30X3.5's on the rear employing good hubs and new rims. I figure its just going to be safer and easier than trying to find/repair original rims. From there I will have them respoked. As I need to source hubs I was wondering if there would be any problem using later hubs in earlier non demountable wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:27 am:

I wonder if there were any demountable 30x3" wheels? All demountables from Ford were 30x3.5" all around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I wonder why Ford made the change? Those ball bearings are huge by todays standards. I also wonder how Ford kept hubs separate for non starter/starter cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:42 am:

In getting new front wheels for my 1915, I cheated and used 1917-1918 hubs. They still have the machined flange and holes for a speedometer gear, but are more substantial than the earlier hubs so I could add notches for removing Timken bearings. So yes, front hubs introduced in 1919 along with with demountable rims are sturdier than 1916 and earlier, have removal notches, and have no speedometer features..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Roger,
To the best of my knowledge there were no demountable 30x3 rims on any car make, either as original equipment or aftermarket. I would suspect that there was no advantage for any company to make 30x3 demountables when the car could be equipped with 30x3 1/2. By the late teens only 5 companies used 30x3 on their cars, 4 were very small producers leaving the only large one Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

My observations: Ford used ball bearings initially, however because of lack of maintenance, felts and bearing grease, they were prone to early failure and the inferior ball bearings were to blame. The jobbers and after market crews introduced the far superior roller bearings, however they were too wide for the housings and stuck out board by about 1/8". Some of the hub makers decided to aid the market by introducing a modified hub by extending the hub material to fully enclose the new roller bearing. The first extended hubs were very thin and prone to cracking and the wheel bearing issues continued. After some time the hub makers further modified the hubs to accommodate the roller bearings with all the parts inside. Some hubs have recesses to remove the bearings and some don't

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Hub center dia are the same
I have set 30x3s on my speedster
Why well why not had 4 good wheels so they went on

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration