PTO Options for TT Truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: PTO Options for TT Truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I followed the link posted this morning to this photo of the TT Wrecker for sale in Little Rock:

and got to wondering what options were available for aftermarket power takeoffs in the day...also what homemade agricultural engineering designs people have seen.

Thanks, Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Looks like "Tomater's" grandfather!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Kinda looks it was powered by something on the driveline
And it broke they also bent the heck out of that weaver tow
Crane they sure did abuse stuff back then.
I would love to have it but 3 is my limit.
Someone on the forum should by it.
Don't let nothin but fear and common sense hold you back !
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Many TT's were equipped with accessory transmissions like Warford, Jumbo etc for both an underdrive (used with a load) and an overdrive for faster transport without a load. Most of those transmissions had a removable plate on the side where a PTO could be fitted, but I've seen very few, maybe they weren't used much?

The Weaver auto crane in the picture would have been hand cranked, so no PTO needed there.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/481616.html?1411740502

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Roger,
Thanks for the link to earlier discussion; so a PTO was actually an option with some of the auxiliary transmissions...
This Weaver winch may have been hand cranked when original but I'm with Jim; if the photo is enlarged there seems to be some sort of mechanical drive added here. Looks like what they did with the extra power though is beat the crane and the driveline of the truck to death!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Jim, maybe if you sell me your Shaw you will have enough room for another wrecker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Not this week Tom. "GRIN"
But I sure would like to get an up close look at what that thing
Is that powered that crane!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

I have to ask what you can get that for. Looks mostly all there, though it will take some straightening and a few drive line parts if not laying around. Getting it rolling and tight should be a fun project. Don't know much about the PTO but I thought they mostly drove an auxiliary belt setup rather than a bed accessory. There is a concrete mixer around that may have used the PTO. Neat project. I hope you don't have a day job and can put it back on the road! I sort of know the effort but started slightly ahead of "mater sr". go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Looked for a hand crank wrecker boom for my TT. Finally gave up and bought this gravity dump body last weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:43 am:

That looks like a real nice dump body Ron what's the mechanism look like we need more pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Jim,

It's in pretty good condition compared to most I've seen. This is because the front bed lock broke somewhere along the line and the bed sat in a raised position outside (that's why I had to secure it with a cargo strap for transport), allowing the water to drain out and not pool up in the corners, rotting them out. The most decay is along the bottom edge of the tailgate (which was in constant contact with the ground all those years because the bed was raised). I'll just plate over those areas with some tin that matches. The floor of the bed is not all dished out either. I'll try and get some close ups of the mech and post them. Really wanted a crank mech instead of a gravity, but this was in such decent shape and the price was pretty good. Looking forward to cutting it away from that homemade cart and getting to work on it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration