Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street, Hartland, Minn.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street, Hartland, Minn.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Seems odd by 1910 there were no cars on the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:52 am:

I see one on the left about half way up the picture. Remember that the T was only one year old then and the other cars were very expensive. It also looks like a very small town so people would have room and experience with horses.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:14 am:

That photo was probably taken long before 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I agree with Larry. The absence of any overhead wires is the telling factor for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Note the side arms with insulators mounted high on the falsefronts.
There is electrical present.

Most of rural America did not get electrical service until the REA
brought it to the backwaters in the late 30's. This may have been
one of those places that power was supplied by a single, small,
privately owned generator and supplied to a single (or few others)
and outside of that, it was all kerosene lighting !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Still a water tower there, but no StreetView.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I think that's a wagon half way up the left side of picture, and I don't see any wires on that arm on the building parapet. I bet it was used to hoist things up on the roof for construction or repairs. Looks like a gas lamp on the left forefront. I'm with Larry, bet this is way before 1910. The postcard probably sat at the General Store for eons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Well, today is old home week for me. First I find Little Falls Mn on the forum and now Hartland. I lived 5 miles from Hartland between 1987 to 1996. It's a dirtball little town off highway 13 in Southern Minnesota. It's a farming community with absolutely no redeeming qualities. I can't say I miss it because there's nothing there to miss. Out on highway 13 is a sign that reads "Hartland Population: (possibly someday)."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

But they still have a Post Office! :-)
My friend with the "new" '23 Overland is the Mayor of a small city (pop. 62) and they lost their Post Office several years ago and never had city water.
Neat postcard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Mike... "absolutely no redeeming qualities"
Haha... that's where my in-laws live. :-)

The water tower in the google satellite view was torn down about a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

In 1994 it was still possible to walk into the local implement dealer and buy parts for a WC Allis Chalmers tractor. He had several used Co-op tractors sitting with a couple 10 year Old whites with front wheel assist out back.

If they had a bar, it was probably open by appointment only. At one time they had their own high school but at some point they consolidated with New Richland, Ellendale and Geneva.

My kids went to school at "New Richland Hartland Ellendale Geneva High School". On snow days we had to listen for school closings for "NRHEG".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Someone who knows ladies' fashions could date this pretty close, I think. True, the 1910 date doesn't date the photo, nor when the postcard was sent. It's a pencilled note that seems to state the population in 1910. Too bad the date on the postmark isn't legible. The other pencil note seems to say "net $1.00" whatever that means. No cars that I can see.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration