Starting issues then no buzz...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starting issues then no buzz...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Hey guys,

Well I have been having issues with running my T. She would take a few turns to start then warm up and off I would go for a 4 to 5 mile trip.
Once I would get to my destination I would turn off the engine and do my thing... upon return I had issues starting.
After some sweat I decided to turn the needle valve some and problem solved. Once running I turned the needle back to original position and off I went back home.

I figured most likely it was sediment build up since I removed the modern filter from the rubber line, but I did not have a sediment bulb to begin with.

So I decided to remove all the plumbing and set it up the way it was back in 1920 including metal fuel line and packing nuts.

When installing, I had a small issues with the sediment bulb drain valve and my ruxtel rod but solved it by moving the tank a quarter of an inch to the passenger side.

Anyway, I put everything together, poured gas, opened the valves and let the fuel flow and hit the ignition...

she would pop and run then shut down... I figure it was the needle adjustment since I had removed it and cleaned things up.
Adjusted again, and again it started only to shut down after about 10 seconds.

fuel flow looks good needle is nice and clean... so I opened it up again and hit the starter.

And heard a clack

Next thing I know... the starter doesn't turn and the coils are not buzzing (tested it by manually turning the engine with ignition on).

So I decided to stop and ask what could have possibly gone wrong before I delve back under the T.

Any input/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Sounds like a dead battery.

The "clack" you heard was probably the Bendix engaging with the battery's last gasp.

Of course it could be a bad connection, either to the battery's + terminal or either end of the ground strap. That would give the same result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Battery is 6 months old and holds a strong charge (Optima)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

As per Peter, possibly a bad connection somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

A battery drain, bad connection somewhere is causing the problem. Anyway its electrical. Have you checked the battery to see if it still has a good charge?
Also check the headlights. That will tell you something if the coils aren't buzzing and the headlights don't burn. That's a simple check that wont take long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Going to check it out tomorrow... got to busy today to do any other work....

Any guesses on why the engine runs for 10 seconds then shuts down? what should I be looking at carburetor wise cause I am sure its starving...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Next time you try to start it check the battery cables and see if one is warm (Im assuming you check the voltage on the battery) which would indicate a short. As far as shutting down, fuel flow. My first look would be at the float, it may be very likely the needle is sticking closed. When sitting enough gas flows into the carb to allow for a start once its running as the needle doesn't open it runs out of gas quickly. Sometime messing with the carb might cause the needle to be free. At time like this as the engine is running and sucking gas the needle never needs to seal shut and runs without a problem as in your trip home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Next time it dies, open the fuel drain valve on the carb an check for good continuous flow from it, not just open fuel come out then close. What type float valve do you have? Did you try using the hand crank to see if the coils were buzzing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration