What did you do with your T today? May.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What did you do with your T today? May.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

May I start this? What did you do today?
Me? Took a photo is all. Had some mechanical work done on this body I live in and this pic was enough for today.
Some of you have heard the stories back then about drilling a hole in the axle housing so the gear lube runs out on the ground before getting to the brakes and rear wheels. I found one of those axle housings in my stash. It's straight (surprise!) and cleaned up OK so I'm using it for the '18.
An 1/8" pipe tap fit perfect so I tapped it out and grabbed the first thing I could find for final clean-up etc until I could scrounge up an 1/8" plug.

plug

I think I'll leave it there awhile. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

I made these to mount my radiator. I suppose they are something you can buy also. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

I made a Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBzyseQ-54

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Nothing so far this month but fixing to get real busy in the next couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Welded up a engine stand, and built a crate,

Shipping my motor off to Mike!

Mike, that racer is looking really nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Reamed the second brake cam bushing for my rear. This one went smoother than the last one I mutilated last month installing. Now just have to put the arm on and peen the pin.

In the process of all this, I figured out how to use an adjustable reamer for the job---thanks to the You Tube videos. I was well on my way to break it otherwise. Now I am an expert :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I finished redoing a set of 23-25 roadster bows to sell and got the metal cut for some more Running board tire carriers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Made a few lengths of tack strips for the late '24-'25 runabout. The profile help from my wood working neighbor in his shop. Drawing detail compliments of Leon Parker's plans.

Then a bit of shaving, and trim looks OK now.

Now all have to do is make a steam box or steam tube as have a big piece of PVC pipe to use. Originals I have seen also have saw kerfs on the underside at the body tub curve down, and cuts on the backside at the curves, so will do that before steaming.

Hope it works, bending this strip around, 'cause the shape sure is nice now :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Today and this weekend, I'll be in T-repair withdrawal.:-( Going up north this weekend for a graduation, and will get zero work done on the engine teardown. BUT... as I seem to have lost my black service manual, I ordered 3 others that might help. The first one arrived today:

The 1924 edition of Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia. Should be some good substitute reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:39 am:

Sunday week is Mothers Day in Australia, so the chocolate company has me out and about promoting the Day. I get to visit all the stores.

Here I am parked outside the late 1800's Adelaide Arcade store. In all, the day involves around 120km of mainly city driving.

Allan from down under.ř

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:05 am:

After the dog trainer gets here to pick up Haley I will be going to get gas and see if the ferry is running today.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Those Dyke's Encyclopedias are great! I currently have a 1924 and a 1918 edition. A 1913 edition is on its way in the mail. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

4 pulls with the choke pulled and the 14 shook off winter and came to life!! Grandson doing everything went around the short section and back in! He did a very nice job of driving both the T and the wife's Model A! Life is good!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

I made a toolbox out of wood using a box joint. It has not been attached yet. Researching original toolboxes I think I got close to what the dimensions should be. I will attach it on the passenger side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Looks great, David! What brand of tire are those wide whitewalls?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Here is another photo of the inside of the toolbox. I put in a sliding shelf for small tools. Everything is caulked inside and out for water proofing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Mark, I will get back to you on the tire brand. I am not close to the car at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

I received a set of stainless hood rods a couple days ago and tried to shove one in today.

hood rod
That was enough for today so I shifted gears.

cups
Holy crap! That globe holds a LOT of grease! It's been almost 20 years since I've filled an empty globe. Had to stop pumping the grease gun 3 or 4 times to rest my arms before filling the cup and installing it once the globe was full... The drive shaft front bushing was a bit easier! :-)

rear cups
Scrounged up a set of outer grease cups that are similar, got 'em cleaned up and I think I'll paint them in a couple minutes.

You guys are busy! Yeehaw!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Mark Strange. To answer your question, my whitewall tires are Coker tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I pulled the engine out of the speedster today. Though I'm excited to get the new ring gear in and check bearing clearances I feel like it's a bad time of the year to be pulling it apart. The weather here has warmed up a little over the last couple days and I'm missing out on some driving opportunities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Duey I sure hope you're not saying it's been 20 years since THAT ball cap has been greased! If so, Lord knows what shape the universal is in! And yes an empty ball cap can take even a hundred or more grease gun pumps, depending on how much volume the gun puts out. They do vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks David, I'll have to look at Coker's website to see if I can find them. I like them! What size are they? I would assume 30 x 3 1/2 ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Hahaha! No Tim. THAT ball cap has been empty for 50 years! U-joint looks like new! ;-)
It's new u-joint. Never been turned under engine power. Yet. :-)
I let my varaiations thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/726283.html?1487246708#MT die a nice easy death as I thought I ran out of variations...
The only things I used from the other rear axle assy were the grease cups and radius rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Mark. They are 4 ply 30 x 3 1/2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Getting everything ready and clean for assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Was able to remove the rear springs off a 26/27? frame that I'm getting ready for sandblast. Also drilled the rivets out of the battery carrier and removed it. Rivets looked factory, and had one bolt that held the ground strap. Seems weird to me that it was riveted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:25 am:

My 25 battery carrier is riveted with two rivets also, which I believe was factory too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Fired up the doodlebug after 2 months and went for a ride around the yard yesterday. Today I hope to finish the brake cam bushing and new cam install in my rebuilt rear axle. Also hope to work on the coil box for the two cylinder T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:56 am:

Yesterday I went 330 miles to the Swedish Model T Club's yearly swap and found some rusty stuff I couldn't resist :-)

Lllll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Today,I made a new [ Toy ] to adjust the lower coil point .
2662M
2663M
2664S
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Sorry , IT MUST BE THE UPPER !!!!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Mr. Toon,

Is Mrs. Toon Happy about your new tool? :-) :-) :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Mr. Bob C
Yes I am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Finished up the coil box for the two cylinder T engine.

Soldered the screws to the terminals, installed onto the replacement wood I made. Then installed into the box I previously modified last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

And decided that if was still raining, I might as well make my plug wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Well, I looked over Coker's website and I don't see those whitewall tires, they must have stopped making them. Bummer! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Hi Chad,

Nice looking work on your coil box,

but.

some black paints do contain conductive pigments. I am not being critical of your paint job on the wood and you may have no problems. If you do experience some misfiring or cross firing, then you may want to look at the wood. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Bill, No worries, appreciate the comments good or bad.

That is in the back of my head. This was Rustoleum spray I used, so we'll see. This will hopefully never see a wet day either, but I wanted the wood black--or at least try it that way.

What I really wanted was a Fun Projects kit, but something about carving up a $70 kit, cutting it in half, bothered me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Finally pulled the pan, hofshead, generator, timing coverwe, etc... on the path to stripping the block to magnaflux it, the cam, and crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 03:12 am:

Didn't actually work on the '25 coupe, but had a very enjoyable Friday and Saturday "helping" (I use that term loosely) load two trailers and two trucks with T and TT parts with Dallas Landers and his cousin Trent and a good friend Joe. Finally got a couple of my projects to someone with the knowledge and equipment to get them finished. I think I am as excited to see some progress being made on them as much as they are to get them done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Wainting on parts so I started on blinkers and brake lights. I was trying to be non invasive as possible but as visible as I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

HA HA HA! I beat those FedEx clowns and Hardware Shysters out of some more dollars. :-) :-)

Yes, I have better things to do but I'm not doing them right now.

Rich

By the way, I do apologize if I offended any FedEx employees, Hardware workers or Clowns. :-) :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Building an axle support/lift fixture in preparation for the rear end swap on Betsy. I didn't have any scrap steel, and I'm not a great welder, but I did have some pressure treated 4x4 stock left over from a deck project. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Thanks Mark. I was hoping you could find white wall tires. I wish they still made them, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Looking for a reliable place to derust and seal my 27 tank. Dad had it done in 02/03 and they used some sticky,red goo. worked well till I started using Kalifornia,Mystery fuel. it all went away. Drained tai yesterday,pulled sediment bulb off and found an odd flake blocking off half of the inlet to the bulb. (sigh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 06:10 am:

Epoxied the ends of my brake linings down to the shoes for my 26-7 rear axle build. Not exciting, but still progress none the less. Tonight I will chamfer the ends of the linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Almost ready to pull the standard rear end with the broken axle shaft out of Betsy, then start installing the Ruckstell.

Not today though, today is a bike riding day! :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Drove it home! This is my G'pa's '24 Roadster that he bought in about 1952. G'pa passed away about 20 years ago,but naturally the car stayed with G'ma until she recently passed. M

Most of my memories about G'pa were in the garage tinkering on this car. Completely did a frame off restoration himself. He did send the engine off for a rebuild, and I remember it took forever. If I remember correctly, it was because he wanted a balanced engine, but had to be all original parts.

I can remember spending hours while G'pa tinkered, then he would tell me to go tell G'ma we were gonna take a spin. A lot of times we would break down (out of fuel on more than a few occasions, lol), but it's funny how everyone will stop and offer assistance if you are in that car on the side of the road.

I have known for some time that I was going to be getting the car, and I have been on this site regularly just browsing. I really like all of the knowledge on here! I hope to make G'pa proud. But I can tell you in advance that I will be looking at this site for all kinds of info/help.

Thanks in advance for helping me with all of my strange and simple questions to come!

Edit: apparently I don't even know how to upload a photo. Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Got it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Beautiful car Dennis, you are so lucky to get a car with a family history. Welcome! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Bought a model t orphan yesterday. Upon reviewing the car, the running gear is ,a mixture of parts which most are '23 and later. The body however seams earlier as it has a wood dashboard, upholstery under the cowl and removable pillar post. Body and wood are in great shape with some assembly required. I told my wife this can be my upcoming birthday present. I've bought home worse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Removable B-pillars? Sounds like the rare 1917-18 Coupelet? In that case a lucky find :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Funny thing, numbers stamped into the pillars match the numbers stamped into the door sills

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

George, Please post a few photos of the side of the body and the removable pillars. You may have been very very lucky if it turns out to be a Coupelet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I should have it home later this week. Will take plenty of photos and post on the forum about Clara. Have been going through McCally's black book and believe it is a couplet. The tattered upholstery matches what is in the book. Have to figure what year it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Thanks Mark. Tell me about your truck bed. Where did you get it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

George:

1917 second style (non-folding top) couplet:

- rounded top is padded from the belt line up
- leatherette upholstery
- gas tank under the seat (the gas tank door/cover is also curved
- pocket with flap behind seat for stowing pillars in the vertical position

1918 coupelet:

- flat top
- cloth upholstery
- brackets for storing pillars are inside trunk
- gas tank inside trunk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

I was able to pull the rear axle out to get it rebuilt. Took longer than expected, but it's out!

Looking forward to getting this done, it's one of the last things to finish before lots of cruising!

I found out my Rocky Mountains shipped today as well. What a great day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Andrew, great to see you pulled the rear axle for a rebuild. Pesky safety issues! :-) You already know the drill of making it safe for you and yours. :-)

A few days ago, I got a PM from a fellow forum member who suggested using a cordless drill to help coerce the new stainless hoods rods into their places.
R G wouldn't take credit for the hint as he'd seen it "on the forum" so I tried it and it worked a treat! Worked really good. Thanks R G! :-)
This psychedelic Runabout now has some nice hood rods!
The center rod is still up for replacement...

hood rods

Those little suckers go right in while using the drill!
Duane you lunkhead (OR "Jordy Verrill, you nulnkhead." from Steven King). Now you have to take them out again to re-form the upper sections of the new 30 year old hood on the '18 so it actually fits correctly unless you want to pick up the whole hood and form it around a baseball bat on horses or some-such...
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Put in new Coilman coils and took a 6-mile test drive. The sound of four coils all clicking alike is music!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Just finished 9 coils. All have new points, new capacitor and two have new secondary coils. They have all new tar. At the same time the repair of the double oval stack magneto coil ring is done too.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Moved the broken standard rear axle assembly to my basement and brought my rebuilt Ruckstell up into the garage. I think I'll call a friend to come over and help me lift the Ruckstell up onto my jack and crossbeam adapter before installation. That sucker is heavy! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Because I drive on some unpaved roads, today I put an air filter on my 1915 runabout.

Fitting it to the carburetor called for some plumbing and some good luck.

The plumbing came in the form of a 1" wall tube and a decorative flange. The flange was not this one, but a 1" to fit the tube. The good luck is that the 1" size was just right to fit a Holley NH.

I cut 4" off the tube, soldered the flange on it, and attached the filter to the flange with a couple of #4 sheet metal screws. More good luck here was in the filter base and the flange being an almost perfect fit.

I puzzled for several days about how to attach the tube to the carburetor. I finally came up with the high-tech solution: baling wire. I twisted wire around the tube, twisted wire around the carburetor throat, and twisted the twists together. Don't laugh. It worked. An O-ring on the tube seals it to the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Mark - did you rebuild that Ruckstell or have it done elsewhere? I've got one too, trying to decide what to do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

I rebuilt mine myself (my first one) with occasional email consultation with Stan Howe (thanks for being patient with me, Stan!).

You should plan on tearing it down completely and inspecting everything, assume nothing!

When I tore mine down, it was clear that the previous owner had gathered parts and assembled them to keep them together, with an eye towards tearing it down again when the time came to use it for real. All the parts had a light coating of oil to keep them from rusting, that was all.

Based on condition of the parts, and recommendations from Stan, I ended up replacing:

The ring gear (it had a new pinion gear)

The stock pinion bearing with the Fun Projects kit

The stock Ruckstell ball bearing with the modern replacement

The planetary gear pins

The special Ruckstell ring gear bolts

All of the Hyatt bearing sleeves (the bearing rollers measured out fine)

Inner and outer grease seals

New bronze thrust bushings, shims, and dowel pins

New reproduction U-joint (If I had it to do over again, I would have found and used a good original Ford U-joint).

pic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Oh, and get the MTFCA standard rear axle and Ruckstell books!

https://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/service-manuals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Thanks Mark, nice to hear from someone who's been there and done it. I have both books already, good reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Woo Hoo! The couplet arrived today. Took plenty of photos. Will write separate thread and post close ups of attachments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Dennis, my truck bed was custom built by the shop that did the restoration for the previous owner. Betsy has been a truck for a long time, but the shop fabricated a custom dump bed for her latest incarnation.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, right now I'm on my tablet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I drank mine this morning in Branson MO. at breakfast at Billy Gail's diner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:28 am:

A friend came by yesterday evening and helped me install the Ruckstell under Betsy. After a little jiggling, the U-joint slid right into the back of the transmission. We loosened the perches and used the wood block method to get the shackles in. Betsy came to me with aftermarket shackles with zerk fittings, but I went back to the stock Ford shackles with oilers. There is still a lot of hooking up to do, but I can pick away at it over the next few days. Betsy should be ready for a test drive next week some time. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:41 am:

I've never cared for the fuel shutoff valve next to the carburetor. I don't like its looks, and I don't like having to turn it with a wrench because it's so tight. So this morning I installed a shutoff under the running board. It's easy to reach, easy to turn, and it's out of sight.

With the handle turned up, the sediment bulb valve is open.

Turning the handle down closes the valve.

Valve open.

Valve closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Instead of listening to a bunch of whining on some conroversial topics here, I decided to actually go work on my T today instead of being in front of a screen. Ok, rant off.

Today I worked all day on making some brackets and such hardware to add a tailgate to my pickup bed. I am not done yet so excuse the modern nut and bolts. Everything still needs a little finishing then I will dissemble for painting.

What slowed me down a lot was I made the first set of brackets and realized I was 3/4" off on my pivot point. So off to make another set. They are 1/4" steel so they took a little time to carve up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Chad, the wood looks too nice. Gotta age it a bit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Nothing major today, just installed new reflectors from brand M. I'll probably never intentionally drive this thing at night but if I ever get caught out this was sixty bucks well spent.
Gonna be bright

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Yesterday I took my T on the busiest street I've ever dared to drive. I went further than I've ever dared to drive. I also went faster than I've ever dared to drive - 40 mph at times. Lots of personal bests in one round trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Congratulations! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Drive to fire station for training. What a nice night for a drive home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Continued work on my tailgate hardware for the pickup box.

Yes Steve, the box looks a little too new for the rest of it. At the time I did this, I was concerned with it being semi nice. I did all the finish matte to keep the luster down, but it still looks good. That's all right, I'm ok with it for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

I didn't mention the other night when I posted the new headlight reflector that the other side had the sprung retainer ring fall to pieces as I opened it up. Tonight's project was to make a replacement ring since I didn't want to wait a week for a new one to come in the mail. Out came the tools and a leftover roll of galvanized fence wire, then fifteen minutes later I had a ew ring bent up.
Tools and parts
A new ring
It's not perfect but it fits and appears to work just fine. The best part is that nobody will ever see it again so close enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:07 am:

I made a new blinker controller. I really don't like the new ones. I wanted something weirder:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Tim E. I like what you did making the spring for the reflector. Pretty nice. I found coil springs easy to unwind. I may try to make some from the right wire diameter.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

James, you must give more details! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I decided to make authentic acetylene tubing clips, screws and nuts for my 1914 T. These are out of sight and I could have used hex bolts. It is fun to make as many parts as right as possible even though this car is not restored for judging. The parts were fairly easy to make. I made a split collar to hold the square stock in a 3 jaw chuck for turning in the lathe. I installed a set screw as the stock wanted to turn even with the chuck tightened. Two other sleeves hold the screw while finishing the head and while drilling the cotter pin hole.

I made enough extras for a later project. I plan to misplace them by the time I need them and find them at a later date. This plan has been used by me and others for some time now. :-) :-)

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Was out at the family parts barn in KS this past week and an old engine and block was sitting in the dirt. Found these plugs in it and pulled them, plugged the holes in the head and I brought these home and put them in my War Wagon.

Run as good as they look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Wow, you guys are all doing nice and authentic work while my posts have been "here's how my impatience led to me installing trash to hold my car together."

Beautiful work, guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Dallas, that light pattern looks pretty darn good. :-)
Richard, your industriousness never fails to amaze! 1/4" bolts, yes? That explains using the dead center during threading.
Tim. Not trash. Ingenuity. Two thumbs up. :-) Ol' Dave Gingery told me and my buddy once "If it works, that's the right way to do it."
I took 2 naps today and re-found the brass repro Apco brake rod anti rattlers I got last summer.
Wait! OT. The neibor just left. We were talking potential easement issues in our very private neiborwoods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Put a Stan Howe Stromberg OF on my 1915 pickup. Apparently I had somehow gotten crap in some jets so Stan, true to his word, "fixed" it. Tomorrow I'll take her out and see what she can do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

I loaded my block, camshaft, and head in my wife's car last night. She was kind enough done in it over to a local engine machine shop to do a bake/clean and magnaflux. If the block is cracked... It's off to figure out how to save up for a rebuild engine. If It's OK, then guess I'm saving up for a bunch of parts, as about everything needs to be replaced. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 02:09 am:

I milled the oil trench in the mains today. Also filed and fit the rings. About ready for paint and assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:02 am:

I started a long overdue (20 years) project to repaint/upholster my T. The mechanicals have been gone through, now it is time for the cosmetics. Removed fenders, aprons, running boards, radiator shell and headlights for media - not sand - blasting. May use soda blasting on body or poly wheels. It needs some minor hammer/dolly work - mostly front fenders. Going old school - applying 3 - 4 coats of single stage acrylic enamel black. Almost went with lacquer, but AE is still my favorite on solid colors cars. New interior is on order. I discover when tearing down why I was having so much trouble raising my front passenger window!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:03 am:

A couple more photos..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

82 degrees today. After work, took the wife person to dinner in the next town. After smoked and BBQ pork we took the long way home. A nice breezy warm evening, lots of rural and gravel roads and around 3 lakes. Its a great day to enjoy the RPU. Spent last summer tinkering and fixing and learning. Thanks to all on the forum for advice and help and parts!!! Its all worth it to tool around in style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Made a set of valve stem dust covers for the War Wagon. Out of, what else. . . bullet casings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Straightened the frame on the 1913 Mountain Wagon we are building from Terry Horlick's plans re(Toady) using a TT frame as suggested by Terry. Long time resting due to health but we are on the road again and moving along nicely. We took it apart by removing the rivets to get rid of all of the hidden rust and when we reassembled it it was a 3/8 ths inch out if square parallelogram so we had to loosen the grade 8 bolts and pull it strait with a come-along. Rear end is Z'd and the front end uses Bill Bolen's Laurel brackets to lower it too. We have rebuilt the original Chris Egsgaard's hill climb engine and it made the 22 percent 1/10 th of a mile climb in under eight seconds. We have made it more street happy and toned it down a tweak or two.

hill

Toady

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

I took my place among the great surgeons and men and women in uniform saving lives and the dedicated educators inspiring youngsters to reach their potential to do what I can to make this a better world.
Today I sorted out the slotted round head screws in the Bargain Mix pack I bought 30 years ago for a dollar. There are several sizes that look the same but the head diameter varies. I put them into 6 different groups from .297 to .307. Then I cleaned up 16 plus 2 spares that matched to mount my pedal plates.
It may seem insignificant to world events but it kept me out of mischief for most of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

It beats picking up dust bunnies off of the floor one at a time by hand! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Finally got my car back together after a year of being apart...rebuilding the transmission after a couple of magnet plate went "walk-about" in my engine...recharged the magnets and put the flywheel back together.

Mounted the flywheel and set the magneto gap.

Put the pan and hogshead on and shoved it back into the car with the help of some friends.

Set the neutral, installed the manifolds, carburetor and every bloody thing else that makes this car run and buttoned up the car.

And yes, the head is purple...she is old and she can wear purple...besides I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 10:43 am:

It was late and I was pooped, so this is what I did yesterday, not today.

I spent my Friday in Mike Bender's shop, working on the engine from my 1923 touring.

Honing pins to fit.

It took a lot of honing to get them right.

Facing a main shaft.

Sorting magnet supports.

I brought home the flywheel and all the magneto parts to assemble. After that and some other homework I'll be off to another session at Mike's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Frank would that be this Hill Climb car?

If so I would love to see what it looks like today. This month has been getting organized and sourcing some "bling." I'll post some pictures shortly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Erik Barret did a nice job repairing the threads in my axle. The he leant me his front end tools... Nice!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Been working on the engine for my 26 Touring that has been apart for a couple of years. Putting in a Scat crank. FInished setting the magnet heights yesterday and mounted the magneto coil. Need some shims for that now.

Also working on a temporary base for my newly acquired KW Wilson engine stand. It had no base, I don't want it tipping over. It is a flat green color. I DID NOT get a Mike Walker deal on this one!

Thought I should get a couple cars started. Could not get the 23 Coupe going, it has a starter & choke, but got the 09 Roadster going, crank & NO choke go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Today, I replaced the aftermarket front spring shackles on Betsy with the OEM style with oilers (nuts facing the rear).

Since there was practically no wear on the old shackles and bushings, I left the old bushings in place and drilled holes for the oilers. I then cleaned up the bushing bores with the correct hand reamer.

I managed to mangle one oiler tapping it into place, so I pulled it back out and placed an order with Lang's for six new oilers (one to use now, and five spares for next time). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Today it was my turn to drop a band nut into the crankcase. Some of you may know how your life passes before your eyes when that happens. I tried to remember the clever attempts to retrieve it posted here on the Forum. I finally elected to wire a magnet someone gave me for the oil screen.
Fortunately it came up on the first dip into the oil. The washer had come to rest on the retracted band ear. I placed a towel below the threads on the pedal shaft so as not to loose it again.
I had thought maybe I had "tightened" it the wrong way letting it fall off but this time as I began to tighten the band the nut popped back to the end of the threads. It turned out that the threads had worn enough to strip out on the nut. I had never encountered this problem before.

Luckily the only extra lettered pedal I had was a Reverse like the stripped one. What could have been a setback of several days was resolved in a few hours. It is nice when things go right even when they are going wrong.
Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on May 21, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Glad it worked out for you Richard, even if it got your heart racing for a while. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Went to South Shore's antique auto club's 58th annual trading bee yesterday and came home with the following. The wagon load is mine along with the gas tank and coupe side windows in cart.

Today, pushed Clara out into the sunshine to take notes and more photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Replaced all of the insides in my roadsters headlights, reflectors, gaskets etc. Also put a nice set of the purple headlight lenses on it. That's it until I get another day off. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Blasted and painted frame. Even rebushed, greased up, and painted the rear spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Cowl Tank removal. After trying to find an easy way to get the Cowl tank out and the T Fairies didn't do it for me just had to do it. Black book lies !!! Had to unbolt steering column to lower a bit to get the dash out of the way, then Tank dropped out as pretty as you please. Using the Search feature here it seems that the 26/27 cowls are a tad shorter on the open cars. At least that seems to be the consciences . Had to pull one stanchion bolt also to get to a dash screw also. Regardless ,got the bugger out. Don't think i needed to move the brake/reverse pedals after all like the book sez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Butler on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Nothing nearly that exciting here. I just put a new brake band on my '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I modified the air filter on one of my Ts. I wanted to say thanks to those that share their ideas on what works and what doesn't. I used Steve Jelf's idea on hooking the tube to the carb with wire and it works great. I tried to post pictures of the different ways that I have put filters on my cars but today is one of those days where my fingers don't know what to do. I will try again later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Finally got all the lights working on my 1920 T. This is big. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Waited for my adj fun projects pinion bearing. It's unknown when I will have it, vacuumed and straightened up garage :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Put some more hardware on the tailgate of the pickup box, almost done with that. Reamed my rear spring perch bushings, painted the rear shackles, ran a tap that I had to buy to clean the threads on a perch nut (Henry really liked the odd size stuff).

All of this in preparation for the new rebuilt rear axle swap this weekend. Switching from a small drum to large setup to use the parking brake in conjunction with the trans brake.

In other news, a poorly installed brake lining by the previous owner is also holding me back as the ends are torn right up---they must have cut the lining to short as it started a 1/2" or so behind the end of the band (cotton bands). Called today to get a set of kevlars, out of stock for at least a week. Need to try and find at least one narrow lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Richard-
You do nice work.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

After one more failed attempt yesterday, I gave up trying to mount that new tire and took it to the pros at Rakie's. I consider it $21.85 well spent. The wheel is back on the car and I'm ready to drive whenever the weather permits. One of the tire guys said he didn't realize my car was chain drive. I explained that the gear is for the speedometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:36 am:

Jefl your post is confusing.... The tire that you couldn't mount, a guy that didn't know chain from gears and charged you only 20 some bucks did it for you.

I hope you don't have flat out on the road far from AAA.

Glad your back to driving!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Went for a drive Monday afternoon. Going down my driveway, 1/4 mile, I discovered I had not changed from batt to mag. When I did I became a member of the blown muffler club. Then went to Lang's and bought a new one. Should have checked on here about mufflers as I would have gone to Tractor Supply just around the corner and saved money and got a stronger muffler. Next Time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Gene, I wasn't there to see it, but I expect they had more than one guy mount that tire.

If I do have a flat I hope the tire will be stretched enough from being on the wheel that I'll be able to change the tube myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Found that Bob's had a set of kevlar bands in stock, so they are on the way. Hard to believe that the actual person/manufacture advertising in the club magazine with an ad that says "call us" never returns my call. Probably why Lang's are out of them, because of no call back either. At least Bob's was there to save the day. I "should" have everything lined up to do the rear axle swap and new bands this weekend.

This also arrived today. This hurt the wallet a little, Looks like I am going to have to do alot of side work to make up for it. Trying to put together a bulletproof engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Removed a couple of rusty body bolts, and the two rusty radiator studs from a 26/27 frame. frame is now ready for sandblast in a couple of weeks. Getting there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Just some more small stuff. Acetylene hose clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Great work, Richard! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I started working on this rough bed. I'm not restoring it, just going to repair it enough to be servicable. I've got new tailgate hinges and chain hook brackets coming. I'm making patch panels for the lower bed sides. Hoping to find some decent used bed metal strips. bed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Oh man! You guys are industrious! So many good things! Two! Scat cranks just days apart? Yeehaw!
Fiddled around with the (Marquette Mfg Co St Paul Minn 6) folding luggage/junk rack/fence today.
I had re-found it the other day when digging in the (last August) pile on the International speedster-flatbed with my son.
Cleaned it up a bit (cleaned the threads on the screws and added a drop of oil to the threads, swivel cups and pivots) and went over it haphazardly with a little WD40.
Not too clean. There's 90 some years of South Central MN dirt and grime on it in places. :-)

rack
Yeah, I know. It's on the wrong side. I think it's about as long as it gets unless one of the sliders/brackets was hanging up.

rack2
Folded down. Still on the wrong side. Looks good! Too nice for Crappy Lizzhe and I won't leave it outdoors. Hmmm, '18 Runabout? Yep.

rack3
As short as it'll go. Jeez it looks really good right there. Gotta move it forward a trifle so it'd fold down.
Put it back in the shed before it rains again Duane. Put it back in the shed. :-)
Maybe the accordion style carrier/rack is bad enough for Crappy Lizzhe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Hope you took Lizzhe for a run while it was out. Rear axle done yet? Update? Pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Not much today, Cleaned up and painted a crank handle and ratchet. Removed the masking from the rear shackle bushing surfaces. Also went and measured for a piece of steel to span the frame for rear axle removal. Received a care package from Lang's with hopefully the last bits for rear axle install on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:37 am:

I had a guy that knew about T's stop by by chance. A guy ran out of gas in front of my house. He called his dad to bring him more. I don't know how old his dad was but he told me about working at Kaiser Frazer in 1951. I cranked my 14 and he asked if I still had the coils so I took the lid off and he told his son you've never been shocked by anything like that. He said always carry a piece of screen wire in your pocket because it's the only wire small enough to clean out the acetylene burners. Said he'd worked on a lot of T's. The one day I didn't have any gas around in a can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:46 am:

This evening I worked on headlights. They were aimed way low and to the right, so I attacked the stems with a big pipe wrench and got them aligned on the marks. I went for a test drive and found that even with the better aim, night driving is just too frightening to suit me. I have some LED bulbs on the way, so I'll see if those are an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Steve - Keep us posted on the LED bulbs. I've been following the other thread about them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Put the trim pieces on my interior panels, fitted them to my doors and installed them.

Wish they had pockets though...I know for my year that's not really correct, but it would be nice to carry small things (like mail, small packages and maybe even some small tools) in some really nice deep pockets...hmmm, I'll have to cogitate on that some...bet I can figure a way to add them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

This pic is from late April. I was busting my hump to to get the axle finished and installed before May day.

axle

Shoot. I'm not supposed to crank these things for another 2-1/2 weeks. Grrrr. But I'd pay for it dearly if I did, so I don't.
IF I wasn't so darned stubborn, last winter I'd have bolted the battery carrier in the '18 (someone drilled holes for it), installed a battery, a switch and the cables so I could push a button to start it.
Never done that before.
But oh no. It's an '18 and didn't come with a self commencer. Uff da.
The pic at the top of this page is the '18 with the axle installed and ready to go.
I really need to finish up a sediment bowl, I don't like leaks and have a sediment bulb question that I should ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

I continued to clean up that rough pickup bed and started measuring to cut out the patch panels. While I was doing that, the UPS man showed up with a used tailgate from Bob's. It needs work, but is much better than the rusted out tailgate I had. 30 minutes later, the postman showed up with my order from Langs: taligate hooks, latches, hinges and hinge pins. Making progress!

gateparts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Over the last two days I rebuilt the front end (kingpins and bushings,tie rods,front shackles,pitman arm and new caps on drag link) put 2 new tubes in tires, changed oil in rear end, oil change. Should now be ready for door County tour this weekend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Started preping for the rear axle swap tomorrow. Took the rear wheels off, undid the shackle nuts and park brake rods. Also removed the drums from the wheels so I can switch to the large style.

While I had the wheels off, I took the plunge to start stripping the awful green paint. To the dismay of many purists here, I will be redoing these with natural spokes and black hub and rim. The wife and I like the natural spoke look. If that upsets you, you can buy my very non original T, and I will go buy an original one.

More work tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:18 am:

My race grind cam arrived from Antique Auto Ranch today. Now I can finish the rebuild on my 27 Tudor motor. Cant wait to get this car back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 03:34 am:

I started with painting the new top rivet and touching up the top irons.

Next I began checking off items on the MTFCA inspection list. When I got to the handbrake control I found that it was attached with the wrong nuts and bolts, and I had to make some correct ones.

I made a drill guide and made cotter pin holes in 32 new bolts.

Then removed the modern markings, stripped off the cad plating, and prepped the bolts and some castle nuts for painting tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Steve, I was reading the checklist you posted and say I too have just standard hardware in that area. At some point I will correct that too with some correct bolts, castle nuts and cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

I worked on the beat up tailgate today. Got the hinges off. They need to be straightened as well as the tailgate itself. It has many bumps, bruises and cracks that need to be welded up. I also replaced one of the tailgate hinges on the bed that was broken.tgate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

This month I have been sourcing bling. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Started the rear axle swap. Got it bolted up, started pressing in new bushing for the springs. Should be able to finish this up tomorrow, except for the wheels, as I am stripping them.

Pressing out the old bushings using a long bolt, some washers and a socket. These came out pretty easy, pass side was a little harder, surprising because it was wore through.

Installed new bronze ones, drivers side slid in with no effort. I ultimately wrapped .007" shim stock (after trying some smaller sizes and working my way up) around the bushing to recreate the press fit. Worked like a champ.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on May 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Worked on installing the shocks. Got them mounted to the former fender brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Painted my 32 new bolts and a dozen castle nuts and set them to bake. Went to town and got a fire extinguisher to carry in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:21 am:

Today I prepped Carl (1911 Touring) to drive to work tomorrow. Thirty miles round trip, I want to make sure no issue crop up before the Montana tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Yesterday, I pulled most of the front axle. Still need to get the pitman arm off, but it's proving to be a lot harder than expected. I let it soak in penetrating fluid overnight, but will likely need to heat it up for removal.

Planning to finish disassembly of the front axle so that it can be inspected and parts ordered as needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Drove the Torpedo to the massive car show at the Derelict Donut shop in Huntington Beach to start out the Memorial Weekend.

Monday will be The Fairhaven Memorial Cemetery for the military ceremony and WW2 flyover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I spent a few hours welding up a bunch of cracks like this in this old tailgate. After all the welding, spent another hour trying straighten it out. It's a lot closer, but still needs more tweaking.
cracks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Drove up to Willamette National Cemetery to pay respects to our fallen warriors for Decoration Day.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Fixed the solder joint on my oil pan.

Sand blasted and primed my running boards.

Prepped and primed some additional pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:26 am:

I drove the runabout to Gary Paulsen's at Galva, 132 miles north, for the Model T field day.

This goes under the heading of Poisoning Young Minds. Colton doesn't have a license yet, so I rode along and had him low-pedal it around the yard.

More later after I get some sleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Yesterday, I finished up the rear axle swap, All went well as expected. I did make sure I put the shackles on the correct way so Larry Smith doesn't get mad.

I also relined my brake band with Kevlar. I let it soak in a little oil overnight. Will install today.

And I continued to work on the rear wheels, stripping the god awful green paint off. Here I was sanding the spokes using strip sand paper---kind of like flossing teeth on a horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Couture on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I unloaded, crank started and drove my "new" 1914 touring. Thank you to Bruce Spainhower for posting driving lesson pictures on April 5th, otherwise this would not have happened. Advice to shoppers- Follow up on every lead, even if they seem weak or impossible. Don't wait for a classified ad or tbay auction, many good cars sell before they get that far.
1914ModelT Cranking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Started the day by heading over to a friends house with my torch to adjust his low pedal which was bent too far to get proper engagement. Then we went over to another fellow's place to wake up a 26 Tudor that had been his grandfather's car. It had been sleeping for about 10 years without being run. A new battery, fluid checks, added water and some fresh gas and it fired right up as a happy car. The last keeper of the car had done it a favor by completely draining the fuel tank and carb so there wasn't any nasty stuff to clean out. Did some instruction for starting and operating the car and an initial driving lesson. It's been a good day and now I need to go replace the fan hub on my speedster so my stuff will be fully ready to run.

It would have been a great day for a drive but helping out on a couple of T's is pretty good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Sanded, A LOT. My fingers hurt---I'm sure my back will hurt later. Working on refinishing the rear wheels on the pickup. A little more paint stripper for the fellow on one wheel, and a little more sanding on the spokes with some 120 and I should be ready to start refinishing them. I estimate I will have 10-12 hours in each wheel by the time I'm done.
Then I'll have to do the fronts......

Never did get my brake band back in, that might be Tuesdays project. Tomorrow I have to go work on a modern car for a friend, reinstall the top end of the engine for a 413 1961 Chrysler New Yorker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

After finished painting the house and mowing the yard I had a couple hours to go to the garage. Done a pre flight check on the RPU as I am taking it to pick up things at rural king tomorrow. Had some time left so I was going to mount the Kinston L 4 on the TT. Looked high and low in garage. Not there! Looked in the 26 roadster trunk as I have extra parts in it. Not there!!! Looked in the shed. NOT THERE!!! Gave up and came in the house. Went to the ottoman to get my Langs book and I had to move the Kingston L4 to get the book. Yup! It happened! I took the carb to the garage and came back in the house to watch the rest of the race and its under weather delay. The problem as I see it is the fact I did not drive the T today. Now its dark and Im going to bed and look forward to driving it tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Well, this pic is from yesterday but you get the idea. I'm working on a tailgate for my 26. The one that came on it was just plywood, the new one is real wood to match the sides. Yesterday I got as far as the pic, today I worked on making some hinges, right up until I broke the drill bit I needed.

Not a huge setback, just annoying. Since I broke it after all the stores had closed, I moved on to painting the wood and I can buy a new bit tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Drove a Model T, on road for the first time ever.
Should have thought to take a picture today, but here is one before the panels got re-painted:

And made the truck a bell from some old scrap metal to ward off Gremlins. (yes the ringer is a rusty, broken, spark plug)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:07 am:

Zac, congratulations! It's a great feeling isn't it?
Keep up the great work, that TT is looking great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:27 am:

Took my 1925 touring to Weekend on Wheels in Taree yesterday (Sunday)... Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRkPnEj2bA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Along with the bride, I took the T out for a short ride along a rarely traveled side road today. I would love to take a real trip instead of the two or so miles that we drove, but the T is technically not registered. The insurance (Hagerty) is current, but the year of manufacture plate has disappeared into a black hole called Tallahassee. The plate was sent for it's $60 "verification" a couple of weeks ago. This is a process that in my native state of Massachusetts could be accomplished in most Registry of Motor Vehicles offices for free in about five minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Prepping and cutting in more parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:23 am:

To George n Lake Ozark - I found the same thing as you. The book lies. I think that the first thing placed on the assembly line was the gas tank, then they built the car around it. I did not have to move the pedals, but I did pull the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Start putting the chassis back together and tore apart my two Warfords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ohnesorge on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

It was actually yesterday, but after 30+ years of sitting in the garage I gave my uncle the ride he asked for. He and my father used to parade the car in the late 60's and 70's. Pulling a wooden spoke wagon dressed up as hillbillies they pulled a moonshine still. Calling themselves the moonshiners of Strang. they had alot of fun and and upon my dads passing, my uncle told me if I ever got the car running again he wanted a ride. Well uncle Larry your request is answered.The T rides again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:49 am:

I spent the afternoon and evening getting magnet heights all within .005".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:59 am:

Been studying up on top irons and bows AGAIN for the 18 Runabout. Aunt Mary's Runabout irons/top don't look like the parts I have.
I think I'm gonna use the earlier irons/bows I got with it.
They're 15-17? oval irons/full bent bows yet I think on the upside, the no-name body is a July of 17 production so I'm telling myself this top set is the last of the oval socketed tops used up in production... :-)
I may be very wrong... :-) A couple of bends in the irons tell me they're a bit earlier.
The last owners thought this Runabout was a 21 or 22 or so when finding parts yet they received this bit of earlier top parts.

OT. Went to the twin Grandson's Kindergarten "garden for the children" graduation.
Kindergarten is a German word if you didn't know... :-)
Ugh. Boring! So I thought.
WHAT THE HECK? We All were asked to recite the Pledge Of Allegiance to start it! Wha?
Everyone stood and recited it as if we all knew it like we do.
I loved it and squealed a bit for being asked to do so! :-) Yeehaw! I haven't done that in 30 some years I think!
The whole thing was kinda sweet. My little boy Ed just won't "play along"... He's different. That's OK.

I may get slammed for using the older top set for this "early" 18 Runabout but I think I'll do so anyway.
I need to soak the corners of the bows in a tub of water for a few days and re-coerce the oak (I think) bows into NOT pulling the body apart at the mounts.
It's quite hard on the seat frame.
Quite open fibers in the top bow parts and some fibers that didn't like being bent the way they were...
Too wide.
??? Yes?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration