Trailer tire pressure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailer tire pressure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Lane Melbourne, FL on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Just picked up a new Colony Cargo 18 ft trailer. The dealer told me to run 60-65 psi in tires. Max load on tires calls for 85 psi. I have always understood trailer tires are best run a max load rating which is 85 psi. Did dealer tell me wrong, or is my understanding wrong. I really like the trailer. Thanks, Freighter Jim, for your recommendation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Skip, I always run what it says on the tire. Iv never had a blow out yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

I've always heard 50 psi. That's what I run. Are they 15" tires? I can't wait to hear more on this topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Lane Melbourne, FL on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

The tires are radials 225/75R-15, 10 ply

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

That is what I have on my '16 trailer and they told me 50 psi so that is what I have been running for the past 5 years without issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I always run All my tires at the Max pressure rating marked on the tire. It varies for different tires. Just think of the T clincher pressure.

Remember that is cold pressure. I've always hoped for a little better gas mileage with the higher pressure and have never seen a bad wear pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Hi Skip,

Did you meet Tim ?

I run 80 psi in my E load range tires.

Freighter Jim

(Message edited by enclosed_ford_transport on May 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

50 # for C rated tires
65 # for D rated tires
81 # for E rated tires
110# for G rated tires
It says on the tire what the rating is.
When I buy a trailer I go up one range. Most 3500# tandem axels come with C rating. I order D rated which gives a margin of safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Radial tires on a trailer can cause it to sway, and make the tail wag the dog. We all know what a frightening experience that can be!

Made-for-the-purpose Trailer tires are all bias-ply and have heavy sidewalls, for that reason.

Since you already have the trailer, the best way to guard against that is to run them at the highest acceptable pressure.

I always carry an infra-red thermometer in my tow car. It's a very inexpensive gadget (about $25) that is available on-line or from Radio Shack if you still have one.

Immediately at every stop, I do a walk-around and check the tread and sidewall temperatures of the tow car's tires and the trailer's tires. I also check the hub temperature on the trailer wheels.

A tire that has lost some air will heat up, because it is flexing more than the others.

A wheel hub that heats up is either out of grease or has a failing bearing.

An ounce of prevention can save an otherwise horrible(and horribly expensive) experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Peter I agree. Trailers NEED trailer tires!!! Always load the trailer with at least 10% of the weight forward. The infra-red thermometer stays in my tow vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

I run the max as shown on the tire script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

If maximum load for Skip is 85 psi, how high does the psi get driving on a highway at speed? Is that why the dealer recommended 60 to 65?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Radial tires are OK for a trailer, and better from higher speed towing as they release heat better. BUT. Trailer radials are special, and made for towing. These are 'ST' marked on the side wall for Special Trailer. Passenger cars tires are marked with a 'P', and won't do the job well.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Tires-Only-RADIAL

As Phillip posted, the Load Range rating is important too for how much you haul.

My open trailer has ST rated 'C' load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

It is important to note that the tire industry speed rating for ST tires is 65 MPH.

If one were to travel in excess of 65 MPH for an extended period time (more than simply passing another vehicle) with ST tires loaded at or near their capacity (even if they are properly inflated) the ST tires (especially on hot days) have a propensity to blow out. And when they do, the result can be a bit messy.

I'm perplexed as to why ..... in light of all the other automotive safety regulations some US Federal agency does not require tire vendors or vehicle manufacturers to provide notice to consumers of the speed rating for ST tires ..... since in many states the speed limits are 70 or 75 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Lane Melbourne, FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Thank you all for your responses. The tires are indeed ST (trailer specific) with an E rating. So I will be using 80 psi.
Jim -- I did not meet Tim when I picked up the trailer but did speak with him on the phone earlier when I ordered the trailer. All in all it was a good experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Every tire pressure script that I have seen says XX psi cold meaning the fact the pressure could and will increase as the tire warms up with use. It's built into the script display.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration