23 Roadster not starting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 23 Roadster not starting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Tucker on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Car has sat for 3 years. But in a brand new battery, got a humming/werring sound with no turn over, took off and re-attached the starter, now I'm getting what you hear in the vid. It was about 45 outside and the fluids haven't been changed yet, would that matter? Suggestions? Crank isn't starting it either.

https://www.facebook.com/juba.jahba/videos/vb.100011314440816/402305330156612/?t ype=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1493934489548870

Vid was too big for forum - on my FB. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum!

I can't see your Facebook post (I do have a Facebook account).

If your Facebook posts are set to post to friends only, we in the general public won't be able to see the post.

(Message edited by cudaman on May 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Here is some useful information:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Tucker on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Sorry, public all set

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Electric starter was an option on open cars, not necessary - Try the hand crank instead :-)

First - do you have enough good fuel in the tank - it'll go bad in three years. Also check by opening the carb drain to verify good flow with a bowl under, then close the drain.

When cranking always pull only up. With the ignition off use right hand for cranking when choking a couple of pulls, then switch on ignition. Make sure the left lever under the steering wheel (= ignition timing control) is all the way up, then try starting with the left hand pulling the crank from about eight o clock to twelve o clock. The throttle lever should be open some. When it starts, pull down the ignition control lever until it smooths out and adjust the throttle. The carb control needle may also have to be adjusted for best economy and power.

Good luck and have fun :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

If the whirring you hear is relatively high pitched, it may well be the starter turning but the Bendix not engaging the flywheel. This could be a symptom of simply no lubrication for 3 years, or more of a problem. Time will tell.

Ninety nine percent of no-start problems can be traced to either no spark, or no fuel!

Try this: With the key in the BATT position (turned counter-clockwise), slowly turn the crank. You should hear coils buzzing. Each of the four coils should buzz for maybe 1/8 of the crank's turn, and all four should buzz when you go through two complete turns.

If you get no buzz, you've got an electrical problem. It could be any of about 10 things. Tell us what you did or didn't hear, and we'll tell you the next steps.

If you get buzz, then your problem is in fuel delivery.

Try this: Open the drain cock in the bottom of the carburetor. Catch the fuel in a can, so as not to make a mess and a hazard. You should get a steady stream, and it should continue for at least a pint of fuel, and not dribble down to a halt.

No fuel at all? You have either forgotten to open the valve on the sediment bowl on the bottom of the tank, or there is crud somewhere in the system impeding the flow.

Try this: Take the fuel line loose from the carburetor. Careful - it might run out on the floor. If it doesn't, unscrew the fuel tank filler and use your air compressor and blow a puff or two (not a lot) backwards up the line. That would dislodge the crud temporarily, and allow the fuel to flow. If it does, reconnect it and try the carb drain again. If fuel comes out of the fuel line but not the carb drain, the inlet valve in the carb is blocked. You can take the carb off and disassemble it and clean out the passages, especially if you have an air compressor and blow gun. A Model T carb's not a very complicated piece of equipment. Worst case, rebuild kits (gaskets, etc) are available from the vendors for a few bucks.

By the way, while you're fiddling around the fuel tank, smell the fuel. You know what gasoline should smell like. If it smells like Kerosene, varnish, or worse, it's gone bad. You might have everything else spot on, and still not get a pop out of the engine in that case. I can't advise you how to dispose of old fuel, because I don't think there is a legal way. But be creative!

Now, for my overall suggestion: Don't try to crank the motor by hand. Use your leg! Engage the crank at about the 2:00 to 3:00 position. Stand in front of the left headlight and hold on to the radiator filler for support. Put your right foot on the crank and pretend you're cranking a Harley. Believe me, you can do a heck of a lot more cranking with your leg than your arm, before you get too tired to crank it. And don't forget the spark lever (the one on the left side of the steering wheel)needs to be all the way up when cranking by any method!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Still can't see your video on Facebook, sorry. Please try putting it on Youtube and posting a link to the Youtube version here, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Hello Nicholas,
Just a few clicks away you have two great sources of knowledge about model T's. In the Greater Detroit area there are 2 Model T clubs, that I know of. The first is the Casual Ts and their website is http://www.casualts.org/index.html

The second are the Piquette Ts. Here is their website.
http://www.piquettets.org/index.html

Both are great groups of people that can help. There is a world of knowledge about these old Ts in this area.

Patrick Drone
Ypsi, MI

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration