What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

So I working to restore my headlights and the tops are severly cracked, broken and missing pieces. Im working to weld the cracks and fill in the material with new brass. I'm learning as I go, any advice would be apperciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Sometimes things are too far gone to warrant repair.
That being said cracked brass should be silver soldered. To me it looks like you are attempting to braze the parts in the photo. I won't say that it can't be done but what I see looks like a lesson in frustration.
Try doing a search on this forum on brass restoration. It has been discussed here many times. I remember trying that myself a long time ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

You can't braze what isn't there, I said "weld" instead of braze due to the fact that is is brass on brass instead of brass on steel or cast. Actually it isnt going that badly, cleanup will be a bit of work. I would like to buy new pieces but haven't sourced them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Chadwick: you may try "backing up " the workpiece with a piece of aluminum ...this will allow the brass to puddle against the aluminum and not simply fall thru ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Good advice, thanks. So far Ive only had 1 drop fall thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:15 am:

If the brass is simply missing, get some sheet stock the same thickness and fit it tighty in the space and silver solder it in. Silver solder melts at a much lower temperature than the brass, and finishing it will be much easier. Cleaning up all that "weld" is going to be quite an undertaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:21 am:

While you are making these whole again, keep your eyes on ebay, they do come up every so often.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration