Honeycomb Radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Honeycomb Radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Is a honeycomb radiator generally more efficient than a stock round or flat tube radiator?

Is a vintage honeycomb radiator a good thing on a Model T or do they have problems, like bad cooling or being easily plugged up over the years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:47 am:

About 6 times more efficient than the others, that said it must be clean and they can only be boiled out as it is impossible to rod them as you would a tube type. My old twenty four had one in good shape and I ran it with out a fan for about five years. It is cost prohibitive to buy a new honey comb core. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:56 am:

They can be good or bad. I struggled too long with the one on my 1923 touring. The car now has a new Berg's and no more overheating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:36 am:

I had an Overland on my speedster, first endurance run a fan blade went into it. On the side of the road it was packed with rags and bars leak. After the run I filled in the holes and ran the radiator for years with no overheating problems. I never had a waterpump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:38 am:

How were honeycomb radiator cores made originally? I picture a bunch of zigzag brass wafers soldered together but if it were that simple someone else would do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxt6EN-39Ck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Vinegar is your best friend for cleaning any of these old radiators. Lay it face down, seal off of neck and dump a couple of gallons into it. Walk away for a day. Carefully drain into a container, flush with lots of water and inspect the core. See how well the water flows through it. If you still see build up in it, then strain the vinegar and do again with the used stuff. The nice thing is the vinegar is unlikely to cause a leak and if it does, the leak area will be cleaned and ready to solder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

I resurrected one last year. Chased five leaks in it and got them dammed up. Now it is ready to mount in my Tudor. We'll see how it performs now that it is all cleaned out and re-finished. Just one caveat: if you're going to paint it, use radiator paint. I get mine in spray cans from Eastwood. Regular paint protects nice but doesn't transfer heat well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Mark,

Thanks for posting that video it was very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Scott, that car was stored all those years with the radiator dry. I back flushed it a while back and only got one tiny rust flake. The radiator itself did not leak but the pet cock and hoses did. That pump is an atlas. Hope that helps, it was always empty for fear of freezing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

I have a Hexcel honeycomb radiator in my 24 Touring.

Have yet to run it but I did flush it a few days ago and got almost nothing out of it. Thankfully, it appears to have been stored dry for the last 50 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 11:39 am:

They just don't look right on a T, and they don't have the bar going across, because they can't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Mine looks really cool....I hope it works well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration