6V Battery Crazy talk

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 6V Battery Crazy talk
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Wal-Mart is showing a 6 Volt automotive battery for $49.99 can be picked up in store - item number 554140618 650 CCA

Sounds a bit too good to be true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Appears to be true, if I needed one I could drive to the DeSoto Walmart and pick one up today! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

It might be 12 V I will call them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

The picture shows a 12 volt battery. Probably just a generic picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Yep it is 12V
I asked if I can get 1/2 of a battery for 1/2 price!
He just laughed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

If that's a group 65 battery it's 12" x 7.25", a little too big for the battery box in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

I can see it now. Probably some cheap Chinese junk that won't last a day past the warranty. They sell it for practically cost. The competition can't sell their batteries because Walmart has them SO much cheaper. The competition are are forced to go to China to get their batteries made. All American manufacturers cease production of 6v Group 1 batteries and the only ones available are cheap Chinese ones and you won't be able to buy a good one no matter how much you are willing to spend.

Hey, maybe not, but it's certainly plausible. Ain't like it hasn't happened to other products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Not that crazy... Tractor Supply has them in stock for 49.99, last time I went into the store. Looked like a typical 6 volt battery.

I paid about that much for the one currently in my car. That was over 2 years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

It looks as if I will be going to Tractor Supply and get an Exide battery for $79.99

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

On-line says $79.99
I am hoping they have them for $49.99

This is for my wife's Model A -
The T has a 12 v battery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

I just went to Family Farm,and Home but i think i paied over 70.00.I get about 4 or 5 years but if i would use a battery tender i know i would do better.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I'll go with what Hal said. Bet it's cheap junk. You get what you pay for. Even at that, the days of so-called 5-year, even 3-year batteries are gone. Words from the mouth of a battery store manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

If your car is pre-1919 and you use the Armstrong starter, all you need to start on BAT is enough juice to buzz the coils. For that you can skip the automotive battery and get something that takes up less than the space and costs less than half as much.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG102.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

I also bought a new 12 volt garden tractor battery for the model T. I don't remember if it was ran in November but 4 pulls with the choke on and turn the switch!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

If all you're doing is starting it on battery, you can use a lantern battery. Lasts for months!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

I seen the value power batteries in the store. The 24F size was made in Saudi Arabia and some of the others were made in South Korea. They are a Johnson Controls product. I have not tried them, don't know how long they really do last. The warranty is 24 months, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Be sure to ask for a Group 1 battery. It will fit in the battery holder. Some other 6 volt batteries are shaped differently.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Because of past experience, I would pass even at that price if the battery is made by Exide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I get those rebuilt or reconditioned batteries for $30. The one on my 47 Hudson is 2 years old and still good. At $15 a year so far that $80 Exide battery would have to last 5 years, which it should, but if my cheap battery lasts 5 years then I'm good. I run those on my modern car and they seem to last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 01:05 am:

I work for a battery distributor. Good Group 1 and Group 2 batterys are out there. US Battery makes good ones. I don't know who puts up the Caterpillar Batterys but there are those that seek out the used ones because they are so good. I'me sure for CAT they could be quite pricey. Back when I was delivering for the company i could Always score good used ones from a couple companys that serviced Refer trailers. I came to the conclusion if the refer quit, for any reason, they would fuel it up and change the batterys. And they didn't want to see the old ones again. Some could be weeks to months old but a trailer full of cold product is worth more than a couple batterys. They were taking 2 group 1's or 2's at that time. But back to the CAT batterys, rated higher and their vibration proof claim is an old selling point. I just looked CAT premium 765 cca's and 120.00 bucks most other group 1 or 2 batterys are 650

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

We first used a lantern battery when we started the 19 with a crank. I changed it to a 12 volt battery when I added LED stop lights.
After I changed the motor, the crank would not engage so I added a starter and kept the 12 volt battery for the lights and starting, but am running on the mag.

I am finishing my wife's Model A and went on a 6V battery quest that started this thread.
I wish I could find some of the deals you are talking about but here in NH my choices are limited, so it is either Tractor Supply for $80, advanced auto for $110, or AZ for $120. All claim to have a 1 year warrantee which means at the end of a year they will replace it for the full price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

I have used the Tractor Supply and Wal Mart. No complaints they both lasted more than two years. Went back to Wally World yesterday to get one for my speedster. They didn't have any? Tractor supply they were out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

I got an email from one of the rotunda guys suggesting that I look at Battery plus. Their web site told me to get a $120 battery for a model A but when I did a search for a 6V battery they came up with an SLI1 for $70. If i ordered it on line and picked it up at the store I could get a 10% discount.

Final price with a junk battery returned was $63.00. Full replacement guarantee for 1 year.
Not quite $50 but better than 120, 80, or 70

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Steve, I run 6V and am cheap enough to stick to Armstrong starting in my 1927. Since bursting a disc my hand cranking is limited, even on a well tuned 1/4 turn cranker.

I had the old 6v tested and the shop owner said it was ok. Then had starter and generator rebuilt, added regulator and wire brushed ground (size OO). Still bearly cranks... so I guess it is new battery time.

BTW, pulling on the crank compresses your discs. I have found "correct cranking" can be painful or injurious. So alternative starting works great... set spark to retard and hand crank to upper left (passenger side, right as you look T the radiator). Use your foot to briskly stomp the crank a quarter turn and you are running. I find you can push down with your hand also... this stretches your back instead of compressing discs... works great.

Set up properly the car doesn't kick back. Even so the risk of injury from a kickback is much less than the risk of re-injuring a disc whilst cranking "correctly".

Back on topic, hmm... guess I should get myself off to Tractor Supply! Unfortunately my lawn tractor battery has also died!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Forum not rotunda. I don't like spell check

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Terry - None of my business, however I think any time you "push down with your hand" as you say, you are taking a chance on a broken arm, and altho' I understand how this could be easier on one's back, I think it is ALWAYS a mistake to EVER push down on the crank. In doing so, I believe you would inevitably tend to lock your elbow, and that's when a kick-back can easily result in a broken arm. I believe it is good practice to always start with the crank at approx. an 8 o'clock position, and pull up, NEVER passing the 12 o'clock position, and NEVER pushing down or trying to "spin" the engine with the hand crank. It just isn't necessary if the engine is in good operating condition.

I hate to start what could become "ANOTHER" rant on hand cranking, but I'd just hate the thought that somebody just getting into Model T's might make this mistake because of not knowing any better and have a bad experience! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Terry - None of my business, however I think any time you "push down with your hand" as you say, you are taking a chance on a broken arm, and altho' I understand how this could be easier on one's back, I think it is ALWAYS a mistake to EVER push down on the crank. In doing so, I believe you would inevitably tend to lock your elbow, and that's when a kick-back can easily result in a broken arm. I believe it is good practice to always start with the crank at approx. an 8 o'clock position, and pull up, NEVER passing the 12 o'clock position, and NEVER pushing down or trying to "spin" the engine with the hand crank. It just isn't necessary if the engine is in good operating condition.

I hate to start what could become "ANOTHER" rant on hand cranking, but I'd just hate the thought that somebody just getting into Model T's might make this mistake because of not knowing any better and have a bad experience! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Oops! Did it again, "re-posted" during"proofreading due to being interrupted,.....sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

It could be double that price for all I care. A well maintained battery lasts at least 10 years, more in my experience. That's less than $10 per year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Ah, the dreaded "postus interruptus"!! :-O

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration