Recommendation for 6 volt car battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Recommendation for 6 volt car battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

With sufficient strength to operate starter. I have rebuilt starter. Rebuilt foot switch. Polished bright 0 guage cables from battery to starter. 6 volt battery is old. Reads 6 volts on battery tester and between green and yellow (weak) on battery tester. Need to buy a new battery so source and amps needed in battery appresciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Thanks i see the post about tractor suppy battery thanks for the post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Do you have a generator, alternator, nothing? Are you running headlights, are they halogens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Mine just took a dive this spring. This is the second short-lived battery in a row for my car. They never seem to last over three years. They seem to develop bad cells in one or more of them. Both of them were from one of the ag. store chains. So I just ordered an Optima 6 volt battery from Summit Racing. We'll see how that one works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

NAPA probably has about the most reliable 6V around. It's around $100. But as I said in another post on batteries...you get what you pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I second the motion for the Optima red top 6v battery. Mine works fine and the cranking power is unbelievable.

I bought mine from Amazon for just over $100.

Cliff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I've been using Country Tuff (house brand) from Orscheln farm supply. I get five to seven years from them. It's been awhile since I bought one, so I can't give you a price. I imagine the house brand from TSC, Fleet & Farm, etc., would be similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

got a 8 volt at rural king 60.00 use in my model a but same size as 6 volt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I always use TSC ( Tractor Supply ) batteries. When you buy batteries make sure they haven't been on the shelf to long by the date stamp they have on them. TSC currently stocks Excide brand which I have been getting good service from.
The life of a battery depends on how much you use it. If you don't drive or start your T or any other vehicle fairly often you might get 1-2 years at the most in battery life.

Having a float charger or trickle charger really does help extend battery life for vehicles that don't get driven fairly often on a regular basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Optima. 6v. Red one.

Got it in 2014, set in the '24 for two years in storage, no trickle charge. Just got the T out, cranked up, a bit slow, but cranked!

Put charger on it, was at 25%, now charged up 100% and expect this Optima to last another 3 years at least!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Will --- North Jersey on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

I like the NAPA Group 1 6v battery. Just under $100. It is a commercial grade battery used in modern equipment and lasts 5 to 7 years. Good cranking power. But like the others say, if you are going to let the car set for a couple years, its best to take it out and give it a full charge once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Just got the Optima in my Model T. AT 800 CCA it spins the engine like a 12 volt. Looking forward to many years of service out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Does the optima fit in the standard battery box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I'm running a tractor supply in my T. But, I've gone through two in my WWII jeep that is also 6v in a short time. After research, I went with a CAT battery that is Group 2 and fits the jeep perfectly. 780 CCA which is fantastic and a 6 year warranty which is priceless.

Typical black battery with stickers all over it. A little cosmetic work and we got it to look like this.

A little research and you should find one for a Group 1 which is the correct size for a Model T battery tray and hold down box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Optima Red Top (they only have the one 6V). You can order it on Amazon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Here's a red top Optima in my '26

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Steve, the dimensions of a Red Top Optima 6 volt are 10"long x 3 1/2" wide x 7 1/4 tall plus the height of the posts. The neat thing about them is they can be laid on there side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Thanks guys. I had a red top optima in my '40 GMC pickup and it worked great. For a little more money it seems like a good choice for the T as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I just got a 6 volt battery for my wife's Model A from Battery's plus. It cost about $62 after trade-in and ordering on line discount.
Do not use their web site to choose the battery for your specific vehicle because it leads you to a $120 battery.
Just do a web search for a 6 volt battery and follow to the Battery plus web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

If your car was made with a starter and battery, I have found that the group 1 6 volt batteries sold by Auto Zone are very good. Look on the new battery for the manufacture date. If it is recent, the battery will last a long time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Forgot to mention that Batterys Plus sells Duracell batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Roberson on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Optima=only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Optima.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Does anybody running an optima have a concern for charging voltages?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 10:22 am:

An Optima will fit in an original Ford battery box diagonally. I made a plywood bottom for it to bring it up level with the top of the box, and nailed in two 1/2" strips on that to keep the battery from shifting. After that battery died, I put in a modern Interstate battery. It's been in there for 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Ten years out of a battery, that has to be close to a record, Larry!

I thought I was doing good getting seven years out of the group 27 battery in my 1971 Plymouth GTX! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration