Coil & Distributor or Tremblers & Timer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coil & Distributor or Tremblers & Timer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

We bought our '26 T Tourer 2 or 3 months ago and it had already been converted to run with a coil and distributor. I know this is not period correct and I've just scored a set of proper '26 coils in the metal housing which I'd like to retro fit into our T.

This raises a number of questions:

1. Will this be a big job? I won't take it on myself, I'll likely get the company I bought the car from to do it, but I'd like to know what the job entails before embarking on it. If it's too invasive (now the coil mod has been done) we'll likely give it a miss.

2. Will the be any performance improvement/degradation? I want to do it because I feel it's the right thing to do, but if there's a risk of unreliability or poor performance I'll probably stick with the modern stuff.

All advice grateful received. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

First off I don't know what distributor you have but a coil and distributor IS period correct. In fact there are special front plates that were made just for this. As far as work involved if the magneto was removed be prepared to install a new one. This is easiest with the engine out of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Thanks Chadwick, that's helpful. I didn't realise any Ts had a distributor so maybe I should rethink it.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and see what you and everyone else thinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

They were aftermarket and sold along with thousands of other accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

One consideration is your magneto. If it's there and working, you haven't much to do as you have the coils and box. All you need is the timer and some wiring. You also need the mechanical timing control, but that's probably already connected to the distributor.
You can run coils OK on 12v DC, but less well on 6v.
IMHO there's quite a difference between running a real 'period' distributor made before 1930 and using a modern device intended for a VW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Deke, Don't get the wrong idea, Model T's did Not have a dist. Back in the day along with many, many other devices like water pumps after market accessories were made and highly promoted.

Most likely your T has a disy because the magneto has failed for some reason. If you have a working mag it's an easy job to convert back to original system with vibrating coils and timer.

Your dist set up will also perform nicely though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Thanks for you input everyone. The dizzy actually works very well indeed. 2 priming turns with no ignition and she always starts first time and runs smooth as silk. It just rankles when I lift the bonnet and see a coil and distributor. :-/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration