How Much Should I Put In?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How Much Should I Put In?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

After rebuilding the rear end (stock, not Ruckstell), I understand the finger tip test for the level of new 600 Wt.

I need to know how much to order from Lang's.

One quart, or two?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

1 quart of 600W is plenty to have on hand for complete lube.

The later housings have the oil fill below center, as the Ford only needs to be filled to the bottom third of the pumpkin.

Best to pour (or push if you have a suction gun) some in at a time and check, the level should just be below the oil fill on the later rear axles.

Little pinkie first knuckle depth away from the brim of the oil fill opening. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Thanks, Dan.

Lang's carries a product called Lubriplate APG-90; this is in the catalogue in the rear axle section.

Is this product correct for the standard (non-Ruckstell) axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

$26!

Don't think so for me, just plain ole 600W at $9 a quart.

Your local auto parts store will have some 85-140 combo for $9, but I like the heavier 600W, but that's me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Thanks again, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

NAPA doesn't carry 600W in Memphis.

Dan, where do you get your 600W? If the bottle has a SKU number, please let me know it.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I agree Dan, the 600W was designed for these anyway, and not that expensive. I always have an extra bottle on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Bill

Didn't mean to infer local shops carry 600W, sorry. Get the 600W from Model T or Model A parts vendors.

Local shops carry substitutes like 85w-140w, but I would trust 600W better for Ford rear axle, that is what is called for.

I use the 85w-140w in my Ruckstell as the special bearings in them need this lube, 600W being too thick.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration