OT - 1907 Model K and a new toy...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - 1907 Model K and a new toy...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Bought myself a belated birthday and Christmas gift. This was the maiden voyage. I have lots to learn......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i7uoattmahmyzj/Video%20May%2005%2C%202%2048%2010%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

That was worth every second!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

LOL! Now you have something to document your distracted driving crash! :-O

Be careful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

You need to trust the tech! It'll follow you!

That said can you hook up your phone so you can see what it sees that way you don't run over a corn field!

Or just have it follow from the front (Is that possible?)

Can't wait to see more videos! Happy belated birthday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Okay, that was cool! Heard a bit about those drones a year or so ago. Never kept up on 'em. Just glad no one was coming the other way!! LOL

So, give us the dope...price, where to buy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Careful, Rob, gotta hold 'er 'tween the ditches. Great footage! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Rob, What fun!!! Just think of the possibilities.... :-O

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

That is fantastic. Adds a new dimension to what can be otherwise dull viewing at times!. Nice to be able to see the surrounding countryside. What speed will the Drone fly at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

It had a good view of your emerging bald spot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Thanks guys. This drone is supposed to go over 50. However i had it in beginner mode (slower top speed), so at the end is the video it lost the K and went into hover mode.

My bit of research seemed to indicate there are good camera drones out there for $500 and up.

Of course, I, being a Ford man, opened the box, charged the batteries, put the directions away (too small of print anyway), and promptly started it up in the living room. The drone immediately headed for a lamp, but my cat-like reflexes saved the lamp with no damage to the new drone.

Can't say the same for my hand....

I saw your comment too, Walker.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Hahahaha! Oops!
That video was freakin' cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Rob,

Looks like fun! Both driving the K and flying the drone. I kept thinking, be careful if you drive under any power lines etc. be sure that the drone is either higher or lower than they are. You probably already had that figured out but that was the first time I had thought about it.

Take good care of the cuts and you'll be back to normal in no time.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Hap, in the video I stop on the road to adjust the altitude for power lines crossing the road to our farm. I probably need a co-pilot to fly the drone. Fortunately the K is the easiest driving car I have because you shift into high almost immediately and then it's one handed driving.

Like anything, there'll be a learning curve.

The hand will heal fine, I'm more concerned about infection, being four weeks out from hip replacement.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Technology never ceases to amaze me...radios, heaters, automatic transmissions, in-car GPS and phones, now drones that follow you. Next thing you know there will be self driving cars.What will be next? Inhabitants on Mars??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Wasn't there a commercial a while back about drones flying and attacking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

That's just "over the top" Rob - what a cool video !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

This is one of our outdoor cats response to technology.

He stood in longer than I expected.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ciratr3idwv79q/Video%20May%2005%2C%2012%2007%2039%20P M.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Simply awesome Rob. Great video! Looking forward to your next "adventure"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

You win the internet for the day Rob.

That was nifty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:28 am:

Keep your eyes on the road Rob. Didn't your father teach you to drive correctly, and stay on the right side. You are not in England.

I can tell your girls never water skied. Then you would have known you need a spotter in the back!!!

Great video. Best one you have done yet. You are going to love that thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Go to the drugstore and buy a bottle of Hibiclens unless you already have some from your hip surgery. Hydrogen Peroxide is out. Just keep those wounds clean and you should be good to go. You do not want to get that hip infected from dirty hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:38 am:

Rob I love it! I am so pleased that I saw it.

Needless to say, I have comments. Big comments.

Either the Model K has a great car stereo system, courtesy of our mutual friend Henry (top of the range, I know, but did he offer a car stereo in 1906?) or you have the Omaha Symphony Orchestra gliding along behind you in the drone. That would make it quite a big drone. A Led Zeppelin?

In all seriousness, I am concerned about the doggie. He wanted to come along. You ignored him.

But I know it is a good cause. You've taken the road to Australia and New Zealand, have you not? (Looked like it to me!).

PS please tell doggie to come along - we do have a quarantine in NZ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:44 am:

Ha! If Mike Walker is not going to mention the clear landing area for the drone, then I shall.

It is quite free of bushy impediments, yes?

Seems your barber went to the same training school as mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Rob, sorry but I couldn't watch the whole thing. It just seemed to drone on and on. (Sorry)

Seriously, very cool!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:13 am:

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you young man NOT to play with your toys in the house!" "Now you take that outside right now and keep it outside!" "Do you hear me!...are you paying attention!"

Gee I wonder how many of us ever heard that! :-)

Great video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Make sure you have blade guards installed on it and attach a stand alone Mini GSM/GPRS/GPS Tracker onto the drone someplace. Without it, you will eventually lose your drone if you lose the tether whether through signal loss or something else. The tracker is cheap and you can locate through your phone easily. Do not rely on the onboard tracking as the only source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Ed,
No blade guards on this one (although I see there are some made after market). I definitely need a separate tracker.....

Today's production. I again lost the signal. Fortunately, the drone goes into hover mode. Much to learn.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2c65dvlar0k10hz/Video%20May%2006%2C%201%2039%2052%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

That is so cool to be able to photograph yourself like that. Can you set it to go ahead of you so you're driving toward it instead of it following you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

I believe so, however it has front "radar" to avoid obstacles, so you wouldn't have that feature (it would be flying backward). I think the best scenario is to have a second person flying the drone in front of the car. I agree the front view would be really interesting.

It would be a nice tool to video a car show, and on tours, when several cars could be captured. It has about twenty minutes of fly time on a battery charge....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Love it Rob! Very cool!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Rob, youz done it again! Thanks for posting.

Yes, the learning curve is there. I got mine to take pics and vids from over the water of our house that sits at the edge of a bluff. Sometimes when it crosses over the bluff, updrafts make it go all squirrely and the GPS decides to send it back "home". Unfortunately, it does that at attack speed and it doesn't care what is in its way. Ed's idea of a tracker sounds like the way to go. Of course, it wouldn't help much if it decides to fly out to sea...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Glad to see you out and enjoying things again!
Also, an interesting U-turn on that last one (six pointer?). Good music choices also. Wagner (first video) has always been one of my favorites. The third video (this time I won't say what it is) has to be one of the best "just cruising" pieces ever for an automobile.

A little side drift about radio controlled toys.
About 45 years ago, I was in my parent's back yard, working on my first model T (a speedster). The situation is a bit hard to describe, so I won't. But people wandered into that back yard a lot more than they should. There I was, working on painting some parts, concentrating intently on getting a nice finish, when these two guys I had never seen come running up to me, a look of terror on their faces. "Have you seen an airplane??????" Now, we lived not too far from the San Jose International Airport, and seeing an airplane low and overhead was not exactly an unusual thing. So, I puzzled a moment, then asked for more information. They started frantically talking about this "airplane that had gotten away from" them. I asked a couple more questions, finally, they explained that what they had lost was a radio controlled model airplane. They had been flying it at a school yard about a quarter mile away, and let it get out of range of the control transmitter. And it just kept going, last seen headed near the trees next to the neighbor's house. They also told me they had paid nearly $1000 (1973 dollars!) for the thing. Their toy airplane was worth more than my model T at that time!
No wonder they were terrified. They were going to have to go home and tell their wives.
I do hope they found it.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Rob,

You are going to have a mishap turning around every 25 feet, Seriously! Oh, and you need to work on your 3 point turn around..... or was it 4 or 5, I don't remember? Too bad OCF is done as that would have been very cool to see a bird's eye view of!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

20 years ago I prolly scared the tar out of a few people whilst flying (barely) an RC plane right next to the highway, trying to get it back in my direction. Successfully flew and crashed that plane several times.

This technology has me fully stunned Rob. Wow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration