Engine numbers and car numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine numbers and car numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william Ackerson on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Why would the engine number and the car number be different ? The engine number (original to car) is 87960. The car number on the dash plaque ( also original to car) is 101500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

William,

This looks like your first posting, so welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention if your car was a USA or a Canadian built Ford. For the Canadian built Fords the engine serial number and the number on the ID Patent plate/dash plaque agreed well into the 1920s.

But for the USA produced cars the note at:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm explains when they started to diverge and no longer agree. It says:

OCT 6, 1911 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Motor and body numbers not to agree in the future.

We do not have documentation on why Ford Motor Company USA made the decision to no longer have the engine number also appear on the dash ID plate. But that is when it started diverging. Some folks believe it is because of the engines that were assembled and that have a "B" in front of the engine serial number. But I do not recall seeing any definitive document from the Ford Motor Company explaining why the elected to do that.

Note the entry in the archives says "body number." There is a good discussion on why that really was the "ID patent plate" number and not the body number. The short version of that discussion is the body number NEVER agreed with the engine number as far as we know. Each body maker had their own numbers they stamped on their bodies.

Note Ford Motor Company USA did actually sell some "Fire Chief's cars." If you would like additional information about that, please post a note and/or drop me a private message or e-mail. If you click on my name at the beginning of the posting it brings up my profile and my e-mail address is listed there or you can send a Private Message through the board.

Again, welcome to the forum! And if this is your first T -- welcome to the hobby.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

(Message edited by Hap_tucker on May 05, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration