How do I fix this? Original upholstery question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I fix this? Original upholstery question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

My touring has the original seat upholstery and it obviously shows it's age.

The leather right arm rest on the front seat has this torn flap that I would like to somehow resecure to try and prevent it from tearing more.

I am not looking for an invisible repair, just something that will secure the loose flap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Why are you bumping something that was just posted 15 minutes ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

You can probably keep it from "flapping" with Barge Cement, but it would be a tenuous "fix" since there's not much underneath the leather that won't move. It looks like all of the upholstery will soon fail completely if used even occasionally. It's wonderful to see the original trim from early cars intact, but it poses a problem for a "driver" car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Take a piece of black upholstery leather that is larger than than the hole and tuck it under the original leather around the perimeter of the hole so it completely covers the horsehair and burlap.

Then glue the loose original leather flap onto the new leather with Barge all purpose cement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Use a curved sewing needle, learn to sew and stitch it up. Think of something like the stitching on a baseball adding a piece of leather backing under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:16 am:

If that leather is as dried out as it looks, sewing won't do any good and will probably be impossible. The thread will just end up cutting the leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 01:04 am:

fill with black 5200, its a marine silicon. Stick it back on. Any excess can be cleaned when wet with mineral spirits if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:11 am:

Embalming fluid might loosen it a bit.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:54 am:

In my experience Eric's repair is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Is this on the '14 shown in your profile? I thought by then only the front armrest roll was leather and the rest of the seat was leatherette? By the looks of it, your whole seat is leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 11:51 am:

For me i get a leather piece and cap it and use saddle soap on the whole seal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Bob I was just going to post the same idea. Make a cap out of something like soft glove leather long enough to slide under the fold and tacked to the wood at the bottom ether under the present binding or over it with folded under hemmed edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Thank you everyone for all of your ideas and suggestions!

Walter,
It is the car in my profile. Only the armrest ends are leather and the seat backs and bottoms are leatherette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

I've seen some very nice repair done with the Permatex Ultra Black. You should always have some close by for many repairs and for No Leak assembly of Model T parts. Its very durable as well.

Try it you'll like it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Thanks for answering my question, Ed. The whole thing looks so equally shiny and crunchy -- do you think at one point in time it was coated with something? Not criticizing, just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Walter,

I don't think the upholstery was ever coated with anything since the finish is pretty consistent all over. Even the areas on the seat backs and bottoms that don't get any wear and are covered up by one another look like the rest of the upholstery.

My grandfather bought the car in the 1950's and always stored it in a garage and kept the seats covered with old bed sheets. I was told the car was in a garage for years before he bought it. I am sure good storage contributed to the condition of the upholstery over the years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration