Stripping wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stripping wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

What is the best way to strip the T wooden wheels with out damaging the wood? Thanks in advance. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Citristrip is good, non-toxic, works. Put the wheel covered in citristrip in a trash bag to really make it work well. Harsh stuff like Aircraft remover, methylene chloride works but is noxious stuff.

A discussion here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/728877.html?1489170999

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

I used a product called Ready-Strip. Use gloves and steal-wool, water rinse-off. It may take a couple of times but it worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:42 am:

Wear gloves and shave the spokes with pieces of broken glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

I just did this a couple months ago used Citristrip worked great. Coat it let it sit then scrap and repeat did this about 4 or 5 times to get it all. I also used a scotch brite and a paint scraper bent to the curve of the spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I was doing the stripper method. Then I went to walnut shell in a small sandblasting cabinet. You can alter air pressure to make sure you don't damage anything. Probably about 45 minutes per wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Aircraft stripper with lots of fresh air. Worked well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I do the sandblast cabinet method. Much faster than liquid strippers or broken glass scrapers. I've done both of those. They work but I have other things to do with my time. I use light pressure on the blaster...15 to 20 psi. It even works on coils. If blasting takes too much of the wood, the wheel was probably not good enough to use anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:24 am:

familiarize your self with a cabinet scraper. there are different sizes that can be ground to any curve. The trick is learning how to sharpen one----the flat 3x5 inch is my favorite a sharp one will remove about one thou of finish or wood in one swipe you can see through a swipe of wood its so thin.
The metal is sharpened by sanding or grinding to a square edge---then burnished with a tool like an awl to make it like a very fine hook scraper. It works for any wood except teak dulls the hook fast. Any good cabinet maker will know about them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration