Grease dripping from U-Joint area.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grease dripping from U-Joint area.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

I am in the middle of rebuilding the rear axle and drive shaft on my 23 Touring. I noticed that there is a bunch of grease that drips from the front of the drive shaft tube where it mounts to the motor. It doesn't look like just grease, It looks like watered down grease. I assume that some oil is slipping by the 4th main and mixing with the grease that is in the U-joint area. Is this normal or should I consider getting a new forth main that fits tighter? Every time I go for a ride and come back, there is a blob of grease about 2-3 inches in diameter that falls on the floor under the car from that area.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Some oil migrating back and mixing with the U-joint grease is inevitable. Your 1926 should have the welch plug inside the clutch drive plate, which reduces the oil flow into that area.

How much of a gap is there between the U-joint ball on the rear axle and its socket? The vendors sell a shim that fits there and closes up the gap.

Another thing that helps is to keep the U-joint ball pumped FULL of grease - it will take a lot, but the big load of grease will act as a plug and slow down the oil dilution and leakage.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2581SH.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Michael, I think this is a common problem. My 26 runabout does the same. I had some success slathering the ball joint exterior with Permatex Ultra Black. The area was thoroughly cleaned with acetone then slathered with Ultra Black. I let it all sit overnight before running the car again. I would say it stopped most of the leakage there. Not sure how permanent it is. Prior to this I did fill the ball joint with grease.

(Message edited by AzBob on May 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Michael, at times some T owners fit a second gasket between the fourth main cap and the retaining cup at the back of the ball, to save the grease leaking out. In effect, this increases the problem as it opens up the gap between the retaining cap and the ball. If yours has that second gasket, remove it.

Mark's suggestion re the shim from the vendors will help if your driveshaft ball is worn.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

And don't forget, eventually all that packed in grease will liquefy somewhat anyway, and that too will drop out. Like Bob said, pretty common, unless you've got some real big issue going on in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Ok slop can be caused all along the way from loose ball joints drag link, tie rod, and ever pan ball on wish bone.
Moving up loose pitman arm and loose key lower steering barcket to frame the rivits or gear slop at the upper case
Have your pretty assistant yes your one post beautiful lady and T
Have her turn the wheel as you hold the pitman arm
See how much slop goes away if still there go up is gone go the other direction

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration