Safety Hubs Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safety Hubs Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

In another thread there's a discussion about a possible failed rear end. In it the question of safety hubs was raised. I didn't want to clutter that thread, so I'm writing this one.

First off, I'm a true rear end dummy. I do OK on pretty much everything else (a little above amateur level), but rear axles have always been beyond my skill set. Can someone explain in simple terms exactly what a safety hub is? How do they differ from a non-safet hub? Are they something that is available for a TT? If so, should I consider them for my truck?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I will let someone else more familiar with the safety hubs explain them.
BUT,to put your mind at ease,I have NEVER seen a broken TT axle shaft.
As a further vote of confidence,google 'Delagrange Hisso'.
The custom built rear end in this old Indy style racer uses TT axle shafts.This car is still owned,far as l know,by the Delagrange family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

The biggest advantage to safety hubs is that the hubs bear the weight of the car, rather than the axle. The wheel bolts directly to the hub.

In the original configuration the axles bear the weight of the car, AND are subjected to the radial twisting forces required to turn the wheel.

With safety hubs the axle deals only with the twisting forces.

Because the wheel is bolted directly to the hub, which is captured in the rear end housing, if an axle ever breaks your wheel will not come off.

Although axles do not break that often, this setup positively avoids the possibility of losing a rear wheel in the unlikely event the axle does break. Too, the safety hubs use sealed bearings, eliminating the necessity to grease the bearings and occasionally check wear of the old bearings and sleeves.

I installed the safety hubs as an investment in safety and I am very satisfied with them. Cut down on rolling friction, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Safety hubs:

http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T2887&Category_Code=Safety

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Yup, those are the ones I bought. Very easy to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Thanks for the replies! I get it now, at least fundamentally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Other thing i heard is these make a great outer seal
Have yet to buy a set but will do so after i get my brakes bought

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

If you have wood wheels, get this installation tool kit http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=36 It makes installing the safety hubs correctly much easier.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration