Old Firestone Cord tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Firestone Cord tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 05:58 am:

Here's an old but well preserved tire seen at the Swedish Model T Club's swap near Enkoping, Sweden yesterday.

I'm speculating it may be representative of the tires that were mounted on Ford cars in the 1919-1923 period?

Kkkkk
Ssss

The seller couldn't make up his mind how much he wanted for the wheel, and I didn't really have any use for it, so I didn't press him, but soon a pair of men who was very much in need of a rim bought it. I tried to tell them how unique the tire is and that it should be preserved, but I'm unsure of how much will be left of it after removal..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Roger

Correct dating, this adv is from 1923.

Really like those older patterns of thread.
But too, that old tire will split up a bit on removal!
Those X-Size tires are what we have today with the 30 x 3 1/2. The tires really are 31 x 4, and fit a bit snug at the rear fender for most T's :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Interestingly, the 31 x 4 tires that used to be available had a higher weight rating, so that they could be used on same rim but a heavier car....I had a 1910 Hudson that appeared to have Model T wheels mated to Hudson hubs, but the larger tires were installed, as the Hudson is a heavier car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Interesting the ad shows the extra size and regular size as whitewall tires, but the "fabric" and "Oldfield" tires seem to be all black. It's fun to compare the tread patterns with what's available nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

If it were me? My decision? I would cut the rim off the tire, and save the tire!
Or probably leave it on that rim, fill it with spray insulating foam to keep the tire firm and prevent flexing which would probably result in the tire disintegrating. The tires are part of the history also. And there just are not that many like this that still survive in decent displayable condition.
But that is silly ol' me.
Thank you Roger K for sharing the photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

I managed to pry this crisp Oldfield Cord off one rim and onto another decapitated wheel. They do make nice display pieces.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Nice !! Rich, Barney would be proud !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

I have a bunch of early ones that I have saved. Fisk and some others. I would give them to somebody who had room and energy to save the. Probably have 6 or 10. I dunno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:06 am:

If it were me, I would cut the section with name out and toss the rest. Would save a lot of space storing and would still show the tire profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:55 am:

I would consider taking more. But I don't know how many years I may have left. I have several '20s/'30s tires already. Most stored out of sight in a cool dark corner of clean dry storage. One hanging on the wall in my garage (an early Wards Riverside, not quite like the ones we are all familiar with). A few of my early tires are mounted on bad rims, a couple I used the spray insulation foam trick. One nice early tire even holds air (don't know what kind of tube is inside). I also have several remains of early tires that came to me too late. Not much left of them. But I still can't bring myself to throw them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 09:01 am:

I'm not sure why we save these things but they are nice to have around. Work in the shop always goes better with fun things cluttering the place.
Here is another shot of "Barney".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Here's the "Visible Cord" tire that was on my Barney when I bought him--it even held air! Well, OK, it held the tube in place enough to hold air. No, I didn't manage to save it (the tire, not Barney!)

Off we go, Brakes?? We don' need no stinkin' brakes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

David, you are to be commended for getting the most out of that tire. Many throw old tires away like they were old gloves.
When I heard your phrase "Visible Cord" I thought I had died and gone to Hershey. I have concealed my enthusiasm for the inner fabric for years.
This one revealed itself when we pushed it out front for Christmas decoration.

These are some more that amused me.

Will wonders ever cease?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

The one on the left looks like Cousin It form the Addams family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

This is a Goodyear Pathfinder 30 x 3 1/2 from the era. It is not an Oversize. Note that it is smaller than the Oversize on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I suspect my fascination with "Visible Cord" began in the 60's while filling a yard ornament trailer tire with T axle and wheels. The tire was flat so I patched the tube. I rested from hand pumping and heard a ping ping...ping ping as the threads started popping. Then a red bubble emerged from a split getting bigger and bigger. Before I could let air out a cannon exploded from inside the tire. It left me deaf for much of the day. It was something I will always remember and not really in a bad way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Jerry, You're right, it looks like a very thin Cousin It!
I've been told that "you can tell a Yale man, but you can't tell him much!" I don't know about Yale tires though. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 02:06 am:

Richard E, I had an almost identical experience many years ago. I can still remember that frightening little sound, as each cotton thread snapped. And then, the BANG!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Wayne, I suppose it has happened to several of us. Maybe we can start a group like the 2 piece crankshaft club.
There are many ways to enjoy the Model T. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration