Inside oil line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Inside oil line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:51 am:

I fought with the reproduction inside oil line for two hours trying to get it to fit properly .. and finally decided I should just put the old "smaller funnel" type back in the block since I plan to use an outside line anyway.

Started the sequence of mounting the flywheel/transmission assembly to the crankshaft and playing with shims. Have taken it off twice now. Had a heck of a time peeling those shims. Think I'll just get some thin brass foil and cut my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Hi Mark: I used the large oil line funnel and the large outside oil line that takes the oil from the top of hogs head and runs it into the front of the pan. By the time you get to read this, you will probably have the flywheel remounted to the engine, The large outside line is a big improvement. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Shim packs are held together very tight, but if you hold a lighted match or lighter to the edge for a short time, it'll be easier to peel them. (And of course, hold the pack with a pair of pliers :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Brad, you mean the type that requires cutting a hole in the top of the hogs head ... or the typical one on the mag post? I ran out of time this weekend. I work on my engine in a friends garage. I'll work on it next Saturday.

Roger, thanks for that tip. I mangled three of the peel away shims I had trying to use a single edge razor blade to separate the leaves.

I was really disappointed about that oil line. No amount of twisting, whacking, pulling and bending would allow it to line up with the bolt hole and also be out of the way from the bolt heads on the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Mark

Too bad, as the larger internal line really is better. Ford's engineering tests:

Older small funnel line

Newer larger funnel line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Just to add to the internal line comments

The photo posted above is the repro larger funnel. Have found the repro to need some fitting and bending to get it right. The mounting tab is a bit off on the repro.

So I like to find correct originals, and tweak them a bit at the solder joint. The originals are two piece also, with the funnel crimped some and then soldered to the tube. I reinforce the seam with a dab of braze to keep the funnel on, you don't need it to fly around with the magnets!

Touched up original funnel in place to mount.

Showing oil line being fitted, with another original that has yet to be cleaned up and a braze touch at the joint to be readied to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Hi Mark: You are correct, I was referring to the oil line that requires you to cut a hole in the left top of the hogs head, I have been using one that I made for over twenty years and have had excellent results, it is also good peace of mind when you are climbing a steep hill. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Well, I found an original large funnel type in my parts stash. It had a dent in the tube a couple of inches from the funnel past the bend. So I rounded and polished the end a long steel rod, greased it up and did a little angioplasty on the tube.

All it took was pushing the rod down past the dent to force it out, then a little light hammer work to smooth the surface. I'll put that one in the block in my next work session.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

You no longer have to cut a hole in the transmission cover to add an outside oiler. We will soon have a reproduction of the original Ford Faithful oiler available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

I do have a funky aluminum transmission inspection cover type oiler with the pan inlet fitting. But makes it one step harder to adjust bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:12 am:

Mark, I have a 1911 touring that I show and drive.
when you show you can't have a outside oil line. I used the large funnel oil line(part # 3081) and the internal accessory oil lines (part# 3081ACCP and 3081ACC) in Langs Catalog. I do quite a bit of driving. The engine seems to get enough oil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration