1912 oil pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1912 oil pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Have a loose ear that showed up after all the cleaning, straightening and painting, dang the luck.

I think the plate shown on the inside of the pan to be a repair and is on both sides of the pan internally . The plates are very nicely made. There isn't any sign of brass on the pan or the ears inside or out.

If you ever tried to remove brass it is a real pain. Why would someone remove all the brass or have I found the missing link. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

The last 12 pan I repaired had those plates as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Frank. was the ears and rivets brazed, this one has no sign of ever having brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

All that I have seen had those plates on the inside and were brazed but it would not surprise me if Ford tried without the braze and/or plates.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Mike,
Yes it was brazed, the owner found out the hard way it was leaking, on the first start up after I rebuilt the engine, out with it again to fix!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Frank and Layden thank you both.

Layden I assume there is signs of brass on the out side of the pan around the ears and rivets or was just the inside brazed?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Both sides were brazed. Like the solder in 2 piece steering gear cases it is the brazing that keeps the ear from working loose and cracking itself and/or the pan.
Is your example a late 7 rivet? Does the snout piece extend around the drain hole? Does the rear piece have 2 rivets on centerline?
I can see that it is not a really early one as the inspection plate thread ring is not riveted in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Layden

Pan has seven rivets.
Snout piece extends around drain hole.
Rear piece has four rivets tota,l two of the rivets on C/L.
Thread ring is one piece (not horseshoes) not attached to pan.
Inspection cover has embossed edge and looks like the dipper area is deeper.
S/R number on block indicates March 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Hello Mike:
My August of 1912 Touring had the same arm reinforcement plates with no brazing inside. Because I had to weld-up cracks under the arm mounts, I re-riveted, then brazed around the internal plates and the internal diameters of the rivets. Worth noting is there were a number of small cracks around the rivets that became noticeable when I blasted the pan. These probably were not a structural issue, by no reason not to fully restore a pan while you have it off the car. I have rebuilt one 1911 and 2 1912 pans, where the 1911 had no internal plates and a riveted one piece inspection ring. Both 1912's had the un-brazed arm reinforcement plates and non-riveted one piece inspection clamp rings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration