Wood fellow wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wood fellow wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

I have put in New spokes in my '19 steel rims before and found pretty easy with the jig made from instructions on the forum. Looking to rebuild the wheels my '15. I don't see any wood fellows in langs or synders catalog. Can you buy the fellows and spokes for these wheels? Don't really want to send them out, enjoy doing everything myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

No to many variation
Rotton wood or loose spoke can be made tight with qwik poly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Sent a PM with some possible help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Like Bob says, across the years, and different wheel makers of the era, too many variations.
If the wood is good enough, the wheels can be rebuilt. However, they are a bit tricky, and some guidance from someone experienced in wood felly wheels would be a good idea. By the way, that is a very old word, and there are a few correct ways to say it, and spell it.
Wood does tend to shrink with age. There are good ways to tighten wheels. And some not-so-good ways. And they DO NOT press together like the steel felly wheels do. The spokes and felloes get assembled into half units, placed together, then pressed into the steel rim as a unit. The steel rim is then riveted into place (check for straight and round first!!!). Taking the wheel apart, you must first find and cut/drill the rivets. The number and location of which varied by wheel maker, vintage, and changing specifications.
And THAT, is just the beginning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration