No keys for new T, what to do?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No keys for new T, what to do?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

As of yet the keys for the 26 Coupe I purchased have not been located by the guy I bought it from. What do I do if they don't turn up? I know there's serial numbers on the keys corresponding to a serialed ignition switch so while keys are not individually unique, there are specific ones. Does Lang's reproduce new ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Matthew, find out what number you need and post it here. I'm sure someone will have one. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Look on the switch we're the key goes in, you may need a light, there you will find a number. That number is the key you need. Most all of the vendors have keys. Many of the forum members may have a key that fits that maybe an extra they would part with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

The key # is stamped vertically on the tumbler. Keys are available on E-Bay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Should be stamped on the end of the key cylinder (near the slot the key goes in) what number it is.

Keys are available all over, from people here to Ebay. finding a key shouldn't be a issue once you know what number key you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Langs has the keys you need. Key no. #51 thru #74.

Get the key no. off of the ignition switch. You may need to use a magnifying glass to see it.

Langs sells them for 8.95 each.

The reproductions are pretty good.
Keys aren't a big issue to solve.

Good luck with your T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Hot wire it, very easy to do. :-) A switch (you don't even need that), length of wire and couple of alligator clips and your good to go. Wont be able to run on mag but you can still start and drive using the battery will even have lights and if it's wired correctly the generator will still charge the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

The number is here.

You may need to dig through some paint and/or crud to see it.

All the parts dealers will have the key with matching number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

The door lock key is different, it does NOT match the ignition key!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Will on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

See my ad in the classified section. I have 17 keys listed. See if your number is among them. They are new old stock keys but without the Ford script. Asking $5 and free shipping.
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Car arrived today. #51 key. My #58 key fits and turns but is not the best fit. Will be ordering replacements from Lang's. thanks for the help guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Just thought I would pass this information a long . You can remove the tumblers from the key cylinder ,then any of the keys 51-74 will work .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Matthew, if you haven't done it already don't order a replacement key from Langs. They don't fit right and you'll be wasting your time and money. A guy in the classifieds has original keys for sale including a #51.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I'd stay away from reproduction keys. Originals are on ebay every day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Model T easy to hotwire it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Walker UK on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

When I first got my T the key worked but it would fall out when the car was running. I had to rummage about on the floor to find it in order to turn the engine off.
I bought a barrel and key from the vendors but it was such a bad fit in the switch I had to bin it.
In desperation I put the original key in the vice and bent it ever so slightly. It worked. the key now stays in the switch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration