My dropped axel steering problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My dropped axel steering problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Has any uncounted abrupt steering wander on undulating road surface with a dropped front axle in a runabout ?.
My axle assemble is in good order and all specs re correct.

It drives fine on good flat surface .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Bob, my speedster had a dropped front axle. I paid particular attention the caster and camber when setting it up, as things were not that even from side to side.
At the same time we locked one front shackle to keep things tied down a bit. We never had any troubles with that set-up. The locked shackle act like a panhard bar to stop the car swaying on the spring shackles.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:46 am:

Thanks Allen --What camber &caster specs did you use?.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 01:09 am:

If the drag link is no longer horizontal, more "bump steer" will be encountered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 05:34 am:

I am a little embarrased to say I set the camber at 3" EACH side at first. Man did that look queer. Had to correct it to the standard 3" total, 1.5" each side. Caster was set at a little more than 5 degrees. The front axle had top and bottom radius rods to hold it all in place.
the car was good for 105km /hr.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 05:39 am:

That TOP & BOTTOM radius rods sounds a good idea Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Here's a T axle setup to ponder......lol Mustang II rack, reversed spindles, dual front springs and Model A outer bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:46 am:

That's really poor steering geometry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:58 am:

I hope it's only used for a static display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I agree with Jerry
With a front "tie rod" the tie rod ends need to be outboard of the kingpins to maintain something approaching proper "Ackerman "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

This OT antique look HOT ROD is not helping what the topic is about .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

I'll attempt no more friendly comments. So sorry to have offended you experts...Gary

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration