Carbide generator gasket ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carbide generator gasket ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Cleaning up my generator, is anyone making the gasket between the water tank and the carbide chamber? The old one still has "life", i.e. not cracked or brittle but after over a century of being compressed I wonder how good it seals. Thoughts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I went to a industrial seal supply company and had a thick endless O-ring made to fit?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Thanks for the tip Bud !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Rich: My company made a few awhile back, and I sold them all to Langs. Perhaps you can still get one from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Lang's lists this: https://www.modeltford.com/item/BL-GHG.aspx
It was not available last time this was discused I don't think. Is this the right gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Larry, Rich, thanks much. I'll call them and see if they have one, dimensions seem right, they don't specify make but I have Jno. Brown lamps, and the carbide basket they show for Brown looks like mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

If all else fails i think if 1/4 round leather belting was sliced on a long diagonal ?? Many huge modern presses use leather for seals in huge air cyl's.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I cut my own from a scrap piece of sheet neoprene.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration