How to shift a Hall Scott/Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to shift a Hall Scott/Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul baresel on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Ok, I am a newbie with a Hall Scott transmission on a 26 TT truck. I have been trying to read how to shift the transmission and I am confused when to shift the Ruckstell
First, what is meant by a large drum or small drum Ruckstell?
Why is there no neutral in a Ruckstell? If the Ruckstell transmission is engaged in one of two speeds, will the truck start to move while starting it? Yes, I understand you are either in Ford or Ruckstell, but if the handbrake is at 90 degrees in Ford neutral, will not the engaged Ruckstell try to drive the truck while starting it?
If the clutch is used for the low speed pedal engagement, how is the low pedal and clutch used to shift the Ruckstell?
I do understand that the Ruckstell in my truck is for very low speeds only for climbing hills, parades, or chasing down snails.
Also, reading some of the reproduction Ruckstell sales literature has confused me because I do not think that I have wrapped old technology from a 4-on-the-floor.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I'll try -

1. Large drum - small drum refers to regular Model Ts. It does not apply to a TT.

2. The Ruckstell doesn't need a neutral any more than a stock rear end does. It's in either direct drive or under drive at all times.

3. Handbrake position and the use of the planetary transmission are not effected by the Ruckstell. They work the same as they would without the Ruckstell.

4. The procedure for starting your engine is the same with or without the Ruckstell. Be sure you have a good "free neutral" adjustment and start it like any other T or TT.

5. I'm not very knowledgeable on Ruckstell shifting techniques. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

If you don't have auxiliary brakes with your TT and are planning on driving it you will need to be very careful that you don't get it in some type of neutral

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

The TT Ruckstell is like the car version, except runs with the Ford worm drive axle.

For shifting the two speed rear axle, the truck should be moving. Takes a bit of getting used to the shift on the move, and its makes a 'clunk' sound when the gears align, but that is normal.

More important, the Ruckstell should not have a neutral, but if parts worn, it could get hung between shifts, and that's where outside drum accessory brakes are needed.

And don't shift while going downhill and the truck is pushing the engine, hard or maybe no shift and that's bad. Always shift when the engine is pulling the truck.

Original instructions on this site:

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/1926/1926ruckstellmay.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

The Ruckstell is a two speed axle, not a transmission. Most of your driving is done with the Ruckstell in direct drive. When you come to a steep hill, just quickly jab the clutch pedal in an inch or so and jerk the shifter back into underdrive. Just as you crest the hill and reach about 20 mph or a little more, jab the clutch again and push the shifter forward into direct drive. Quick, firm shifts work best. Do not try to shift when you are coasting against engine compression. Shifts are made while the engine is pulling. With some practice, you can use it to shift like a three speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Dennis,

In a TT with no auxiliary transmission and low speed rear end gears in Ruckstell low he will NOT be doing 20 MPH. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Sorry. My TT has high speed gears and easily runs 38 mph. I was thinking of my coupe when I wrote that.

This is the reason I rarely post. There is always somebody to find something wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:37 am:

Dennis, you shouldn't feel others input as criticism - they're trying to help just like you, Noone can be correct always or remember everything, but in the end most of the useful info the initial poster wanted is here in the thread and all is well - thanks to the your and others input :-)

There are also often several ways to do something - then the readers can evaluate and choose whatever they want to believe. But all camps will be happy with their way :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Roger. Well said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Haven't seen or even heard of a Hall Scott transmission, or a Ruckstell transmission either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul baresel on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

Thank you all for giving me some insight especially on jabbing the clutch pedal and not shifting on the down hill. Dennis, I was afraid to post as well, but, I told myself what the heck we are trying to help each other in the long run.
Thanks Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

I know exactly how you both feel! :-) I've so many questions and seek opinions on a range of T topics. Can be a tough crowd.
This tough crowd IS the most helpful crowd on the planet for a range of subjects. :-) It blows me away.
Shoot. Dennis, I think your shifting info was spot on. OK, your TT does 38 miles per hour! That's cool!
I cannot imagine going that fast in mine. Yikes! I prob'ly have the standard gears in mine so it'd be 28 miles per hour or so in Warford over-drive. Yikes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I havnt driven mine yet but the Chicago transmission and high speed gears in rear axle should be quite fun. Dave said without a body it would run about 42mph. Wood cab and 8in1 bed should slow her down a bit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration