I'm glad but I still wince...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I'm glad but I still wince...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 03:28 am:

After less than a hundred miles on a brand new engine and transmission, the first oil change and screen clean is always a little exciting but jeez I'm glad we have a magnet in these things. No wonder they used to wear out with all this crud flying around in there...

With some actual ring tension and a zed head, the old girl has never pulled like it does now. Even with 31x4 tyres I just made a 10% hill in top gear, without a flying start!

Thanks Dad.screenmagnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:19 am:

I would guess that is normal for a new engine. New rings. Newly honed bore. Lot's of tiny little high spots to wear off. I bet it quits all that when it gets broken in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:20 am:

I still see a pile of fine metallic muck in my magnet each year and it's been 15 years since the rebuild. I use two smaller rare earth magnets now instead of a large one like yours and stick them to the cover so that the oil is not impeded by the magnet but the grow that fur.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Yeah, mine is the same way. _Been doing that for the six or seven years I've owned the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:41 am:

My transmission screen does not have a magnet, but will soon have one after reading this thread! Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Yep, a familiar sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Hmm. At that rate and over a century it's a miracle there's anything left at all !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Almost any rebuilt engine will produce such debris while the rings and valves seat in the first few hundred miles of driving. That is why you are supposed to change the oil at least twice in the first thousand miles (actual recommended schedule varies). I suspect that most of that debris in most model T engines after the break-in time is from the planetary gears and drum wear. Microscopic iron/steel molecules and bits can be rather picturesque when held in magnetic fields, especially when mixed in an oil medium. But all that is not really much material off the running parts of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 05:29 am:

I was intrigued to see the amount of brass that's turned up in the very bottom of the screen, you can see it's collected in the small void created by the gasket... new bushes will do that.

I suppose that without the magnet, the iron filings would be removed with the oil change anyway, but I'd much rather they weren't circulating.

Speaking of trans bushes, has anyone heard if there is a supplier of undersize bushes for the brake drum/driven plate? I've been quite interested in the Tulsa club method of trans overhaul, using a .010" undersize mandrel, but standard bushings hardly have enough material to clean up in the lathe at standard size...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration