Parts Replacement manufactures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Parts Replacement manufactures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

As there is a notice up about a parts supplier for sale, it begs the question - at least for me- who actually manufactures the replacement parts for the Model T. Are they actually manufactured in America and packaged as such or are they manufactured and imported with a FMC license. Is there a worry that the supply of "new" replacement parts will "dry up?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Several of the parts dealers manufacture parts all of them carry. Glen Chaffin is the source for cams, Ruckstell parts, and several other items. Bob Bergstadt supplies valve lifters, spring bolts, and other new parts. Seat springs come from Snyder's. Mark Hutchinson is producing New Day timers all the dealers sell. Many of the new parts are USA-made, but some are imported. Just a guess, but I suspect The Outfit Many of Us Avoid sells more foreign parts than the other dealers. And yes, I think there is a chance of losing some suppliers. As we know, Glen wants out, and we almost lost Bob a couple of years ago.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on May 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Ring and pinion sets are US made. Many parts say so on the bag etc. Hmmm, am I correct? I gotta go look now George.
The new u-joint in my '18 is a foreign made unit. Looks correct, feels pretty good and fits good. And I don't mean Germany.
The gas cap I bought for my '25 TT is foreign. Fits perfectly. Far better than the 30 year old one in my '18.
So far as I know, my supplier doesn't buy from the outfit Many of us Avoid Correspondence and Sales with. How's that? :-)
Glen did have a thread up last year also about wanting out so he can have the time to do his own thing on his T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

99 percent of our new parts are American made except for our 2511AS Inner axle neoprene seals. They are foreign made but of high quality. This allows us better quality control. Jeff, I don't want out, but if I don't truly retire I will never get my 1909 and 1911 restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:37 am:

I guess I would've thought Mark would take over. Unless I'm getting names/families mixed up, wouldn't surprise me there! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:40 am:

I thought Tom Carnegie was making the New Day Timers? My business makes about two dozen different parts. We sell to all the major T parts suppliers. I don't do retail. The battery boxes I just had made has slowed me down a bunch! I don't like packaging and shipping at all. Check out my newest part, available most likely from Langs in June. An exact copy of the 1913 KW coil box key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:42 am:

A big thank you to all of our parts suppliers and retailers! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Yes, a BIG thanks.
Also, you wouldn't believe some of the "shops" putting out great stuff. There's one guy here who posted in this thread that works out of his garage, which is already pretty full of model Ts. NICE ones too! And he makes great parts!
Quite a few "mom & pop" suppliers, who often got started because a part they needed just wasn't available, or the ones available were, um, well, CRAP--no way around that one! :-)
So, like Glenn, they became suppliers by accident!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Tim,

I have an interest in carrying on the business; however, I must first retire from my career in law enforcement. I can not expect to take over and generate enough income to support my current lifestyle. There is also the issue of presenting the up front cost of funds. This has been a topic of discussion between dad and I for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Let's include Mike Kossor's ETimer and the ECCT in the group of mfg's. Here's a few more

Jim Guinn's wood bands, Larry Sidmore's AC Brakes, Bill Bohlen, John Regan and Laynes are just a few of many that we gratefully thank for supplying us with quality parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

One of my buddies bought once a couple of tubes from (I think) Snyders - and to our surprise it said "Made in Denmark".
We have never figured out who made them though as we would save the poor tubes the trip back and forth and we save the 2 times customs fee......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

I've always wanted to start some kind of business supplying parts. Seems like a good excuse to go to swap meets and the like. It's a business expense, Mr. Accountant, I swear! haha

The problem I have is I haven't found a problem that I can solve yet. Just about every problem I've had for a Model T, someone else has come up with a solution for. I either need to encounter a new problem or come up with a new solution to an old problem.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems to me that there are plenty of great parts suppliers. If I could afford to buy into Chaffin's Garage, and I was willing to live in California for awhile, I would love to join the company. Because that's how I see it. They don't want to just sell out to someone who will relocate and reorganize the business. They just need somebody to step in and help.

I had the same thought a few years ago when Bob was in danger of being forced out of his business. The problem is there aren't enough guys like me in this hobby who are young enough to take over a business and give it the attention it deserves. Nothing against those of you who are older than me, but I'm noticing that the ones who are experienced enough and might be able to raise the capital to buy it are the ones who either have their own careers to worry about or are already retired.

Maybe we'll luck out and a shadow investor will step in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

I keep buying Lottery tickets for this very reason. A parts depot smack in the middle of the country would work well don't you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Glen, I feel your pain about retiring, but if Chaffin's Garage ever ceases to exist, the result on the model T hobby will be as drastic as a recession or depression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:46 am:

OK, so the hobby is going to lose a supplier and manufacture of Model T Ford parts soon. The gentleman wants to close his door and finish a project or two.

Why can't a few high rollers on this group pool funds, set up a management group, hire a manager and still supply parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:08 am:

For me its the HELP behind the business that makes the difference in buying parts. Dave with joint knowledge with Glen has been an asset.

After NAPA was sold here with great help the new owners are not nearly as sharp as the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:28 am:

It's sad, more than a few posts on this topic have related to moving to CA. CA is a great state that I grew up in and as it is now glad to be out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By okmad on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Analysis on the Seven Faults of Automobile Braking System
http://www.okmadintl.com/ehtml/news/52.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

It is sickening to me to think that all of the American made pars we produce for the hobby will die with us. But that may happen if things don't change. I can't believe that someone other than investment scammers who want to steal your business are not interested in carrying on a fascinating business. Time will tell what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Mark And Glen;

I worked with my Dad 22 years before he retired, and now am working with my son Bailey (as well as with my wife Mary). I understand, first hand, the "challenges" unique to working with family.

Mark, it sounds as if you have a desire to acquire your Dad's business; I hope that your timeline to retire from law enforcement works out.

Other than meeting your Dad in November of '16 when I came through Corona to pickup the tapered leaf front spring, I don't know you or your Dad except by reputation, which is excellent.

Glen, there's no need to brook any investment scammers, or those who see Chaffin's Garage strictly as a business investment. Only you, and perhaps Mark, know Chaffin's Garage, and how it's succeeded over the past 44 years.

Also, only you two know the relationship between you.

We all know that buying, or selling, a business is not something you just go do. It takes time for both the buyer and seller to fully understand each other's viewpoint and goals. It can also require a borrowing relationship with a bank.

It seems to me that (again, without knowing either of you) that a gradual transition to Mark's ownership is in both of your interests.

A good estate planner (CPA as well as lawyer) can help minimize taxes and other expenses. (My guess is that you already know this).

I can empathize with each of you. I went through acquiring my business from my Dad some years ago, and am now beginning to set up my estate plan which includes the transition to my son Bailey of the stock in the business.

I do wish you both the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

How about a new cowl tank. I see that the Model A folks have the same problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By okmad on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

FORD MAVERICK TRUCK Escape Hybrid Brake pad FMSI:7961-D1055
http://www.okmadintl.com/ehtml/product/1770.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Bill, I have no interest in selling the business if a family member would take it over for free. However, We have 1.5M in assets including the parts production business. We would be willing to take 1M if there were an interested investor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration